+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Want to test a jigsaw for TOH?

TOH Editorial Assistant Sal Vaglica wants to know:

Do you want to test a jigsaw for TOH? What projects would you use it on? Tell us and you could score a jigsaw to test, review, and keep!

Default Re: Want to test a jigsaw for TOH?

Depends on exactly what the test parameters require and who the jigsaw is being marketed to.

General tests/reviews would include:

1. Fit and finish
    2. Sole plate adjustability and function
    3. Blade attachment, ease of change, selections available (generic or brand specific blades only )
    4. Adjustment of stroke
    5. Tool vibration with and without a load and in various densities of material
    6. Cut performance at all angles of sole plate adjustment
    7. Misc things such as dust blower port behind blade, adjustable cutting direction, variable speed function, adjustable exhaust deflector to keep too from blowing in users face, tool weight
    8. If cordless, cut quality/duration on single charge
    9. Discernible Pro's/Con's of this tool over competitive models.

For the contractor types:

1. Cutting cultured counter top material

For the average homeowner/woodworker

1. Ability/performance when cutting different species of wood

I'll add more as I think of them.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Appearance, finish ,feel, and ease of blade change. Squareness of cut, vibration, and tracking. I would want to try it on pine, poplar, and oak. Curved and straight cut up to full depth cut. I would also want to try it with a metal cutting blade on tubing and flat stock.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I keep forgetting... is a jigsaw the one where the tool is stationary and you feed the wood into it, or is it the hand-held one where you guide it into the wood?

Over the years I think someone tried to pull a fast one and changed the meaning of jigsaw... my recollection is that it's a satationary piece of equipment.

My son is in the beginning stages of building his own home .
    That saw would see every type of real world task imaginable .

I've always wanted to make wooden puzzles using a jigsaw, but haven't ever found one in my price range that worked worth a darn.

I also make a variety of small animal houses/toys for the kids and their friends. Seems that there is an endless supply of gerbils, hamsters and guinea pigs these days.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by libcarp View Post
    I keep forgetting... is a jigsaw the one where the tool is stationary and you feed the wood into it, or is it the hand-held one where you guide it into the wood?

Over the years I think someone tried to pull a fast one and changed the meaning of jigsaw... my recollection is that it's a satationary piece of equipment.
    Jig saw is the hand held tool, the bench mounted one is a scroll saw.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Jigsaw

scroll saw
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    TOH Editorial Assistant Sal Vaglica wants to know:

Do you want to test a jigsaw for TOH? What projects would you use it on? Tell us and you could score a jigsaw to test, review, and keep!
    I would love to test a jugsaw. I work on all kinds of projects everything from countertop instillation to making projects with the kids.

Quote Originally Posted by havanagranite View Post
    I would love to test a jugsaw. I work on all kinds of projects everything from countertop instillation to making projects with the kids.
    A JUGSAW? Man, I'm not going to even touch that one.