+ Reply to Thread

Default How to install exhaust fan in single pane window?

Hello, is it possible to install an exhaust fan through the single pane bathroom window by cutting a 4" hole in the glass? I have a limited situation in my home, which is an old apartment building converted into condo units.

1. The exterior wall outside the bathroom is brick and we can't create a hole to the outside because the building is historic and cannot be altered.

2. Cannot exhaust through the ceiling because the exterior wall is still brick and their is another apartment unit above me.

3. Can't exhaust into the rest of the house because Portland weather is is a mold friendly environment.

4. Don't want to leave window open because it isn't private enough, being on the first floor.

So, with these limitations in mind, I found a fan kit that runs on 240v in the UK, that looks like the kind of hardware that might solve my issue. The problem is that I cant find a 110v equivilant hardware in the USA.

I'm looking for ideas, comments, or links to US made hardware that might solve this kind of job?
    Last edited by djangofan; 12-01-2008 at 03:41 PM.

Default Re: How to install exhaust fan in single pane window?

Dj.. my opinion is u can't put a exhaust fan in single pane window so either u need a hole in wall or your existing window is the only option. i am unaware of the hardware u displayed in pic.. so no comments for that

Jim Ling
    Bike Stands
    Last edited by jim.ling24; 01-21-2009 at 10:29 AM.

Wink Re: How to install exhaust fan in single pane window?

DJ,putting a whole in the glass sounds like you are going to have a problem with the glass cracking. Why not take the glass out of the window, put in a panel and cut a whole in the panel to accept a normal bathroom exhaust fan? The fan will run on 110. You can get a decorative panel so that it won't be objectionable.

Calcats

Default Re: How to install exhaust fan in single pane window?

its a newer style double pane vinyl window and so i dont think the pane can be replaced. maybe ill ask my local custom window maker if they can pre-fab a window that will accept a fan in one of the panes...

this sort of thing would be unacceptable:
    Last edited by djangofan; 03-06-2009 at 03:46 PM.

Wink Re: How to install exhaust fan in single pane window?

The only difference between your picture and using glass instead of a panel is that the glass will be clear and suseptable to cracking. You need to get a hold of a glass manufacturer to show you the different panels that would be acceptable. They may be able to "dry glaze" lexan in place of glass, it would be strong and clear like glass. Make sure you use lexan and not plexiglass. As far as the hose I would run it along the wall and maybe even box it in. I'm not sure where you are going with the unit. Good luck.

Calcats