+ Reply to Thread

Default oversized closet opening

I have a 7'11" closet in my family room. There are shelves on either side of the closet with the gas furnace installed in between. There is not enough clearance for sliding closet doors. I'd like to install full louvered bifold doors. Is there a way to install 3 sets of doors (3-30" wide doors) and have them still catch and work properly? I'm thinking if I trim the opening with deep enough trim and leave enough room between the doors (I think I read that I should leave 1/4" between the wall and the door as well as between each door?) I'll make up the 6 inches of extra opening I'll have. I'm wondering if all I have to do is attach an extra catch to the back of the door that has 2 doors closing towards it? I'm new to the DIY world and a single mom so I need it to be fairly straight forward without a lot of involved finish work. (That being said, I also have no problem tackling bigger jobs so if that's what I have to do, no problem. I replaced my kitchen faucet the day before Thanksgiving and it went well.) Thanks for any help!

Default Re: oversized closet opening

Hey Kath!

Awesome! Post a pic!

You scrapper you!

Kathy here are some of the configerations that can be done with folding doors.

You generally don't need a catch because they are on or between tracks.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thanks for the help. I'm going to go get the materials today. I'll probably try to tackle the project next weekend. If you don't mind I have another question. When I was newly single, I bought a cheap cordless drill at HD for light jobs (didn't think I'd ever try the bigger stuff). It's a Ryobi 7.2v. When I was in the rental house, I tried to put up bike hooks in the 2x4s and had a hard time doing it (moved out with the drill bit still in the 2x4!). Not sure if it's my lack of upper body strength or the lack of power in the drill. Now that I'm doing my own work in my own house, I need to be able to drill into stuff like that all the time. So, is it the drill or me? If it's me I'll just start lifting weightsI do know that the set up on the drill looks a little odd. The bits are round at the connection to the drill "mouth" and they seem like they should have an edge to get a better connection. It's possible the drill bit was just spinning in the drill??

If the bit was turning in the chuck you just didn't get the chuck tight enough. A little better drill will probably have a better grip on the keyless chuck or you could go with a corded drill and a key chuck. You can also buy drills with " hex drives and bits and hex drive drill bits no grip required.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb