+ Reply to Thread

Default pls help with subfloor choice for parquet on raised (crawl space) foundation

Hi, please help me out. I have 'crawl space' foundation with original plank-style wooden floors. I would like to finish them with 5/16" parquet-style squares on top, and cannot decide on the subfloor - should it be regular plywood or something else like cork underlayment. Which subfloor would be less affected by moisture from crawl space? Would appreciate your advise very much. Thank you in advance.

Default Re: pls help with subfloor choice for parquet on raised (crawl space) foundation

***! People pay big bucks for that original plank flooring that you're doing away with. Oh well.

You can buy underlayment at HD and other places either tongue and groove 4x8 sheets or not T&G. Ask the guys there in the flooring dept what they are recommending these days for homes in your area to use as a vapor barrier. You could easily lay 6mil polyeurathane sheeting down before putting the underlayment down and that should take care of the moisture. Overlap the seams by 3-4 inches and you should be fine.

Good Luck.

Default Re: pls help with subfloor choice for parquet on raised (crawl space) foundation

Thank you very much! I will go ahead with tongue and groove plywood, lokks like cork underlayment will gather moisture, and plywood is more applicable in my case...

Thank you again.