+ Reply to Thread

Thread: banging pipes

Question banging pipes

I read one of the questions from one of your readers on banging pipes.I do have the same problem.There is a valve on top of 2" pipe and the expatiation tank is threaded to the bottom of that.Is this a valve that needs to be bled to get rid of the banging pipes?

Default Re: banging pipes

cgarland:

Are you referring to a banging pipe problem with your cold water supply system or your hot water heating system???

You seem to be describing an expansion tank and vent on a hot water heating system near the boiler???

Default Re: banging pipes

Hi,

I know that I asked a questions about banging pipes where I received many good suggestions. I wanted to follow up since the problem was pretty much resolved. The service guy from the Oil Company came a couple of days ago. I felt well armed with info from this thread. However the problem seemed to be with the aquastat being set too high. The water was boiling away quickly in the pipe leading from the burner (causing the banging in the pipes). This never occured to me since there had been a service call for the burner check up earlier in the fall. He turned town the aquastat and watched while the heat came up until he was convinced that it would not be too low to heat the house. And although I can hear faint noises 90% of the clanging and banging has subsided.