+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up Gas log goes out

I have a gas log (NG) fireplace. I do not use it much but fired it up for the first time this season. At first it would only fire up for a few seconds and then go out. After doing this repeatedly it finally stayed on for a few minutes and went out again. Fired back up for a while yet again only to go back out. The flue damper looks like it is working just fine and opens up once heated.

Not a windy day here either and no obstructions to the intake around the bottom or sides.

Ideas?

Default Re: Gas log goes out

Little more info.

On the control diagram there is no outside power source. The only control is a high limit wired in series with the wall switch.

I can turn the switch on and sometimes, but not always hear gas flow to the burners.

The burner nozzles are buried under the vermiculite/gas fire place stuff.

Err........ Whoever can help me figure this out is invited to my annual, Nix the turkey, lets have surf and turf party here later.
    Last edited by kentvw; 11-29-2008 at 02:07 PM.

Kent if the pilot light is going out it may be the oxygen depletion device. On my gas log fireplace about every 2 or 3 years I have to take on air hose and blow air down through the orifice for the pilot light to clean out the oxygen depletion device. Usually a couple of good blasts takes care of the problem.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

The pilot is burning fine.......... I'm wondering if the valve is shutting down because it is clogged with gas fireplace stuff on the output side of the valve? The nozzles (Or whatever they are called) are buried in gas fireplace materials. Much of that material seems to be pretty fine grade material.......

Can you turn a control manually to fire the burner?
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Can you turn a control manually to fire the burner?
    Duh here? What do you mean? I just turn on the wall switch. Once the pilot fires (which it has) I just control by a wall switch.

It has now been burning fine for an hour or so...... WTH?

Just checking if you also have manual control on the valve ..... I know .... I know ..... why would anyone get up and change channels on the TV manually when you could just do that with the renote control.

Hey ... who knows ... perhaps the thermocouple had a build up of crud or poor connection between the control valve and the switch ,.... but it's working .... fingers crossed

.... what do I know .... just some booger boy
    Last edited by canuk; 11-29-2008 at 04:57 PM.
    - Rush

Odd, how odd........... The fireplace is burning bright and no cut-outs for over an hour........

Lobster tails and filets for you Canuk......... Come on over.

Hey! Maybe a booger clean!........... No? Blew my nose! Blew it, not all that tough to do. Do not we all?....... Kinda like pooping........
    Last edited by kentvw; 11-29-2008 at 05:09 PM.

That's kind of you sir .... I may be a wee bit late arriving if that's alight?
    - Rush

Will not matter.. Even if days are of concern.