+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: plywood or mdf

Default Re: plywood or mdf

Pederas,
    I think there are several problems that have been pointed out but it comes down to preference and price. Personally I like solid wood cabinets, but I build my own. I'm not that crazy about working plywood or MDF, but that's my preference. Price on the other hand is what has caused such a disdain by many for MDF. To many of the cheap cabinets are made of cheap MDF or particle board even LDF with thin plastic overlay. MDF and MDO has been around for a long time and good quality cabinets with a good finish or veneer have been made from both. Unfortunately most people can't see the difference so they equate one with the other. The price, manufacturers reputation, and guarantee is what you have to go by.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I'm pretty tired about the misleading tale about Wood-Mode cabinets and the great Susquehanna river flood in Kreamer, Pennslyvania.

That story implies that you can put a WoodMode or Brookhaven by WoodMode kitchen under water and all you will eventually have to repair is a bit of molding.

This is not what the WoodMode or Brookhaven cabinet manufacturer will really stand up to claim in writing, I'd bet, if you were to ask them.

So, the story is really false advertising.

There are also stories about how chunks of Wood Mode or Brookhaven particleboard can be put in a pickle jar of water and it won't swell. . . again, this has nothing to do with how the Wood Mode or Brookhaven particle board will stand up to water in your kitchen or ancillary room.

That said, I have seen first-hand that yes, Wood-Mode and Brookhaven cabinets can fail due to water damage.

Water damage can actually occur with Wood Mode or Brookhaven with relatively small amounts of water, too. An intermittently leaking air gap can do it, for example.

I have also seen first hand how corporate Wood Mode (mother ship for Brookhaven, too) doesn't replace cabinets for customers with water damage.

That doesn't mean that other brands are not also subject to water damage. I am just pointing out how the stories that circulate about Wood-Mode and the great flood are really creating a false impression about what the cabinets can do.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Then it's perfect for really little cabinets.
    LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL oh oh I think I wet myself

Quote Originally Posted by Henry H View Post
    I have also seen first hand how corporate Wood Mode (mother ship for Brookhaven, too) doesn't replace cabinets for customers with water damage.

That doesn't mean that other brands are not also subject to water damage. I am just pointing out how the stories that circulate about Wood-Mode and the great flood are really creating a false impression about what the cabinets can do.
    I don't know of any cabinet manufacturer that warrants against water damage, even the steel cabinet makers.

And it should be pointed out, especially today, there are a lot of different grades of plywood.
    Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 01-16-2010 at 10:57 PM.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb