+ Reply to Thread

Default Odd Flourescent light behavior

Hi,

I have a 24" flourescent light fixture in my kitchen that is probably about ~12 years old. I recently changed the two bulbs from typical kitchen and bath spectrum to daylight spectrum (6500 K color temp).

Now the lights won't fully come on, they light dimly and flicker. If I fiddle with them a bit I can get them to fully illuminate. The fixture has a cover and I've found that if I leave the cover off, I can get the daylight spectrum lights to operate normally. If I put the cover back on, they won't function properly. I can't find any interference or shorts.

Does anyone have any advice on this? The daylight bulbs operte at a higher color temperature, but both sets of bulbs are rated at 20 Watts. I'd hate to have to replace the fixture if it's not necessary.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Odd Flourescent light behavior

Quote Originally Posted by lambour View Post
    Hi,

I have a 24" flourescent light fixture in my kitchen that is probably about ~12 years old. I recently changed the two bulbs from typical kitchen and bath spectrum to daylight spectrum (6500 K color temp).

Now the lights won't fully come on, they light dimly and flicker. If I fiddle with them a bit I can get them to fully illuminate. The fixture has a cover and I've found that if I leave the cover off, I can get the daylight spectrum lights to operate normally. If I put the cover back on, they won't function properly. I can't find any interference or shorts.

Does anyone have any advice on this? The daylight bulbs operte at a higher color temperature, but both sets of bulbs are rated at 20 Watts. I'd hate to have to replace the fixture if it's not necessary.

Thanks in advance.
    12 years from one ballast? Time to upgrade, methinks...

Default Re: Odd Flourescent light behavior

Yup, would guess ballast as well