+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bedroom No Heat

Default Bedroom No Heat

One of my son's bedrooms baseboard don't heat up. Could it be an air problem and how can I fix it. I have baseboard heating and the other rooms are ok. Bedrooms are on the 2nd floor. Thank you.
    Last edited by Walter A. Vazquez; 11-28-2008 at 06:36 PM.

Default Re: Bedroom No Heat

Walter,
    It could be an air pocket problem, an altitude problem, or a FLOW problem.

Second floor bedrooms are typical trouble spots because the supply piping often wends & bends at right angles before it reaches the baseboard.

The 2nd floor is usually also the highest point in the system---approximate how many feet it is from the 2nd floor down to the boiler.

If it's ~ 20', the "altitude" or "psi" gauge on the boiler should read at least 12 psi---this is so that there is enough water pressure to get the water up to the 2nd floor rad.

If the psi gauge reads only 8 or so, it must be adjusted by adjusting the pressure reducing valve near the boiler to get 12 psi.

If you have adequate pressure, shut down the system temporarily by flicking the on/off switch on the boiler.

Open the bleed valve to the baseboard---some water should come out to verify you have enough pressure to feed the baseboard.

If you have enough room to place a 5 gal bucket near the bleed valve, shut off the cold water supply to the boiler---remove any baseboard corner covers or sheet metal that's in the way of your work---place some rags or paper toweling around the base of the bleed valve.

Remove the bleed valve completely---immediately put your finger over the hole to prevent soaking from the water spray (it's only at 12 psi, but it still comes out pretty fast)---use a small plastic hose to divert the water into the 5 gallon bucket & fill it 1/2 full by opening the cold water supply to the boiler in the cellar.

when done, close the water supply, replace the bleed valve, reopen the cold supply & restart the system.

This water venting is usually enough to eliminate any air pockets near the baseboard, if the problem wasn't a low psi problem.

Please post back.
    Last edited by NashuaTech; 11-28-2008 at 07:23 PM.

Default Re: Bedroom No Heat

Holy crap, man. I wish I had this forum about five months ago. I had a nearly identical problem and ended up investing too much time in it. If I had gotten a response like that my life would've been sooooo much easier.

Kudos, friend. Kudos.