+ Reply to Thread

Default wood floor: lighter to darker

Does anyone know if it's possible to make a light hardwood floor darker and warmer?

Thanks
    -Patricia

Default Re: wood floor: lighter to darker

Sounds to me it would be possible and it would probably be easier than trying make a dark floor lighter.

Thanks for replying. Any suggestions on products I can purchase for this?

What species of wood is the floor?

What is on it for a finish? Probably doesn't matter much though in that the most practical way of doing this will likely involve stripping or sanding off the exisiting finish and then staining the floor darker......followed by new coats of finish.

The species of the wood and how dark of a color you desire *may* be problematic..........maybe not. Depends. If it's maple for instance and you want a walnut color........more problematic...although even that can be done. Would require using dyes for coloring rather than pigment stains.

There are finishes with stain added but I would never recommend them for a floor.
    ****hiller's advice is sound. If you can provide the type of wood and how dark you want to go, we can be more specific.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

My floors are maple with a boring cool brown stain and matt finish (maybe satin, but not sure).