+ Reply to Thread

Default PVC to Clay Tile

I've got a vertical clay pipe on the corner of my house that my downspouts drain into. I had to move it over a few inches and up a few feet, so I dug out the top section of clay pipe and used a couple of 4" PVC fittings to get it in the right place. The PVC fits very snugly into bell of the clay pipe, so I just packed it in crushed stone, tamped everything down real good and continued filling in the hole. I figure that this joint is far better than clay-clay joint that was there previously, so I'm not too worried about it.

Going from PVC back to the clay tile is another story. There is about a 1/4" gap between the outside of the clay pipe and the inside of the the PVC fitting. I need to to keep dirt, roots and various other funk from finding its way into the pipe, so I was thinking of just packing the joint with oakum and topping it off with silicone.

Can anyone think of a better way to seal this joint? It will be below grade with direct contact to soil, so I don't thing a banded coupling will hold up very well (and I've been looking for an excuse to use up this bag of oakum).

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Default Re: PVC to Clay Tile

It will be below grade with direct contact to soil, so I don't thing a banded coupling will hold up very well
    Stainless steel band couplers are used underground all the time.

Have you checked the integrity of that vertical clay pipe further down?
    It's quite common for them to crack or outright break. If so then you are risking more issues than any benifit.
    Personally , i would remove that type of connection all together and run the downspouts above ground away from the house foundation.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Ya it will be great if they both get active on this forum...
    and share their exp. with gaming...

Personally, I would like to eliminate that type of connection of all elements and run the downspouts on the ground away from the house foundation. It is very common direct crack or break. If so, you are risking more problems than any benefits.