+ Reply to Thread

Default Weather responsive heat controls

I have found the device I saw from a show earlier this year in your archives. I am very interested in the weather responsive control unit for the hydronic heating system. I was wandering if this will work with a base board water heat system that has copper throughout. I have read discussions where concerns about return temperatures and condensation can cause problems. Which Tekmar unit should I use? My house is 1 1/2 stories, about 1750spft, the upstairs and downstairs are not separated at the 'boiler'.

Default Re: Weather responsive heat controls

I would consult with a local heating contractor who is familiar with installing these units, and can advise you of the pros & cons.

The Tekmar 260 is widely discussed as able to work with baseboard radiation---but as you noted, there are concerns with boiler condensation--standard boilers should not be allowed to operate below 130 degrees so that condensation is avoided.

An ODR will save fuel in mild weather, but the longer run times on the boiler & pump to circulate the not so hot water thru the baseboard may be uncomfortable to some.

There's also an indoor sensor that is recommended---making sure the domestic hot water is kept hot enough is another issue.

It's been said that manually adjusting the aquastat high limit/low limit from 160-180 in the winter down to 140-160 in mild months will save on fuel as well.

Zoning the 2nd floor from the 1st with zone valves may save you just as much in fuel than an ODR

Also Google "how it works""outdoor reset""carol fey".

http://forum.doityourself.com/boiler...28-tekmar.html
    Last edited by NashuaTech; 11-27-2008 at 08:25 PM.