+ Reply to Thread

Question Bedroom switch doesn't turn on lights "SOME" of the time.

Hi. One of our bedrooms that has a light switch connected to the wall socket, does not turn on the 2 different plugged in lights "SOME TIMES".
    Some times it works perfectly, sometimes nothing at all.
    I have never noticed any flickering, or "on and off" lighting, or delay in the lights once the switch is flicked.
    It either works perfectly normal, or not at all.
    If it is relevant, we live across the street from the ocean in So. Cal in our recently purchased manufactured home (built 1989).
    I have one generic type of table lamp plugged into one receptacle, and a generic, low budget, "paper balloon" type hanging from a ceiling hook.
    Any help, info, advice, or questions that I can answer to better help you to help me, I will be very thankful and grateful.
    Thank you in advance so much for your consideration.

Default Re: Bedroom switch doesn't turn on lights "SOME" of the time.

It's most likely either a bad connection at the switch, or more likely, a bad connection at the outlet. Knowing how trailers are built, they do not use standard outlets, they use an outlet that when the two hales of the outlet are put together, they pierce the wire housing. This works until the plug gets jostled, arcing burns off the prongs into the wire, or when the generally shoddy construction and materials that are found in most trailer manufacturing fails.

Regardless, turn off the breaker and check the connections at the switch and the outlet. Replace either if there is any question of damage.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    It's most likely either a bad connection at the switch, or more likely, a bad connection at the outlet. Knowing how trailers are built, they do not use standard outlets, they use an outlet that when the two hales of the outlet are put together, they pierce the wire housing. This works until the plug gets jostled, arcing burns off the prongs into the wire, or when the generally shoddy construction and materials that are found in most trailer manufacturing fails.

Regardless, turn off the breaker and check the connections at the switch and the outlet. Replace either if there is any question of damage.
    I agree with all that but also include that methinks it is a problematic switch that is the culprit.

Awesome info to help me know how/where to start on this. Thanks so much! I'll post my findings after I investigate the switch connection condition, then the wall socket.