+ Reply to Thread

Default water missing gutters

I've got a 10/12 pitch on a roof, and when it rains hard, sheets of water come racing off the roof, and completely missing my gutters. I looked at gutter pumps that self-syphen, but I'm not sure if these actually work. I would appreciate any suggestions out there. Thanks for the help

Default Re: water missing gutters

ttaylor:

What exactly is the water doing????

If it's flowing into the gutter, filling it up, then overflowing, the gutters are either clogged at the downspout screens, 1/2 filled with debris, or have an insufficient number of downspouts to empty the gutter water---it could also mean the pitch of the gutters toward one end of the house is misaligned, perhaps bottoming out at the center.

Make sure the downspout screens are clear & that there are no obstructions in the downspouts themselves.

There has be at least 2 downspouts every 30'.

The best strategy is to get on a ladder with a garden hose & play the hose on the roof & watch the water action as it enters and drains from the gutters----that way you can clearly see what is causing the problem.

Another common problem is that the first row of shingles is misaligned with the center of the gutter, & water runs down the fascia board missing the gutter---a 3" piece of drip edge slipped under the first row of shingles will solve this problem.
    Last edited by von_steuben; 05-03-2010 at 10:59 PM.

Are you talking about the distance to place the gutters from the house or are the gutters just overflowing?

Interestingly I just watched a TOH episode where they installed gutters. They put a straightedge on the roof & hung it off the edge, showing where the water would actually go. This is where the gutters should be mounted to catch the water. Is it possible the gutters are too close to the house?

Another common problem is that the first row of shingles is misaligned with the center of the gutter, & water runs down the fascia board missing the gutter---a 3" piece of drip edge slipped under the first row of shingles will solve this problem.