+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vanity Height

Default Vanity Height

We found a great semi modern vanity from a yard sale and installed it in my grandma's bathroom. She was OK for a while but now complains the vanity is too high for her. Turns out the vanity is 42" high and my grandma is 5' 5. Any suggestions as to how make the vanity more accessible for my grandma? Should we build a couple of steps and cover them with tiles under the vanity? Or should we try to shorten the vanity, but then that would mean altering the plumbing. Appreciate any suggestion.

Default Re: Vanity Height

Normal vanity height is around 27", kitchen countertops are at 36". 42" is too high for anything but possibly a wetbar where you'd be standing. My recommendation would be to pull the cabinet you've currently got and install something that is at a more reasonable height. You might be able to modify the cabinet you have, but without seeing it I can not comment on it. Under no circumstances do you want to build steps in the bathroom, you'll be asking for trouble if you do (i.e. extremely dangerous! ).
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks, I know. Our main concern here is Safety for my grandma. It seems the vanity's legs could be shortened by at least 4". However this might mean we'd have to call in the plumber to move the pipes behind the vanity.

Unless you had the plumbing reworked when you installed the cabinet, it is my suspicion that it's all at standard heights and longer supply hoses and drain tail piece were used to accommodate the higher fixture.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

We didn't have the plumbing reworked, so you're right we should be able to work it out safely that way. Thanks very much.