+ Reply to Thread

Default Forced air heating & cooling: Hi vs. low speed systems

I have just had a Unico/Carrier high speed A/C system installed in my older, brick Cape Cod house. The system uses insulated 4-inch round ductwork. It's just for cooling but I understand this kind of system can also be used for heating. That said, I'm wondering why TOH used those huge metal ducts in the Boston house renovation that's now underway. It would seem that a system that uses much smaller ductwork would be much better for a retrofit in terms of ease of installation. In my job I lost about one half of one square feet of space in only one closet, with the rest of the ducts run through joist spaces, walls, etc.

Tom D.
    Washington DC

Default Re: Forced air heating & cooling: Hi vs. low speed systems

I haven't seen the TOH Episode your talking about but Unico is a High Velocity System, apparently they are using a Diff. system on the TOH that your talking about.

Default Re: Forced air heating & cooling: Hi vs. low speed systems

Quote Originally Posted by Tom in D.C. View Post
    I have just had a Unico/Carrier high speed A/C system installed in my older, brick Cape Cod house. The system uses insulated 4-inch round ductwork. It's just for cooling but I understand this kind of system can also be used for heating. That said, I'm wondering why TOH used those huge metal ducts in the Boston house renovation that's now underway. It would seem that a system that uses much smaller ductwork would be much better for a retrofit in terms of ease of installation. In my job I lost about one half of one square feet of space in only one closet, with the rest of the ducts run through joist spaces, walls, etc.

Tom D.
    Washington DC
    Cost could be one factor. The Unico is very expensive (about double). Also, the Unico doesn't qualify for rebates or tax credits.