+ Reply to Thread

Default Ugly Acoustic Tile - is There an Easy Remedy?

The breakfast nook in my 1937 colonial has acoustic tiles on the ceiling. They have been painted by the previous owners, but still look dated.

What is the easiest way to make the ceiling visually appealing? Can the tiles be skimcoated? Can they be wallpapered?

The crown molding is flush with the acoustic tiles, and therefore nailing drywall on top of the tiles is not possible, unless the crown molding is removed. I am reluctant to remove the tiles: I don't know their composition, and it's uncertain what I will find behind them. The rest of the house has original plaster in excellent condition. I am starting to work on cleaning and refinishing (or painting) the wood paneling in the breakfast nook. Thank you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20081102_Alex_05.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	7.3 KB 
ID:	1855   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20081102_Alex_02.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	14.0 KB 
ID:	1856  

San Diego, CA

Default Re: Ugly Acoustic Tile - is There an Easy Remedy?

You might want to look into some of the stamped tin that's on the market now. It's good for putting in a ceiling that will not increase the thickness drastically. It'll go right over your tile with no problems.

You shouldn't have any problem with your crown mold with it and the installation will be easy. Tack it, staple it, screw it, nail it, etc. You can buy it painted or unpainted I think. Not sure where to get it but I'd start searching the web first and go from there.

Good Luck.

Question Re: Ugly Acoustic Tile - is There an Easy Remedy?

I have ugly ceiling tile in the kitchen also, having the same problem with the crown molding. I was wondering if you can wallpaper over it(can't afford the tin), and how do you apply it? Will it stick to the porous tiles, should I use a clay based adhesive, wallpaper liner....I am at a loss with what to do. Thanks for any help you can send my way.