+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Siding Help

Default Siding Help

I am in the process of buying an Old 1 Room School House with an addition for my Home. The new addition has Old Barn Boards for siding running Vertically. There are some cracks between the boards, The person that put it up did not fill the cracks you can see the insulation board under it. What can I do to cover or fill the cracks Without making it to noticeable? The Old School part has Natural Cedar Siding on it. It is weathered, Not sure they did anything to it. Does it need to be treated? I am thinking about staining it. What should I do to prepare it before I stain it?

Thanks,
    Scott

Default Re: Siding Help

Scott:

I have basically the same question as you do - old rough-cut cedar siding that needs a solid stain. Did you ever find a decent answer to your question?

Frank

Default Re: Siding Help

if you can see the insulation underneath, what is it, styrofoam or fibreglass batts, either way its a bad thing, you shouldnt be able to see anththing through the siding. this is just asking for problems or water damage. first try caulking the joints with a color match caulking otherwise you should consider replacing the vertical siding with horizontal siding or install house wrap then put new siding over top to make it weather tight
    fire up the saw and make some dust