+ Reply to Thread

Default Moving Closet Door Around Corner

I'm planning to move a living room closet door around the corner to the kitchen, converting that space from a coat closet to a pantry. The area juts into the kitchen already, and there are no electrical switches on the two walls involved. This will free up one corner of the living room for the TV/entertainment stand.

Can someone give me a 'check list' of what I need to do? I have some experience in finishing drywall, painting and can hammer a nail, but not confident about the trimming, or the cutting.

Default Re: Moving Closet Door Around Corner

If you're going to use the old jamb and door, start by taking that out first. Take the door off the hinges first by taking out the hinge pin. You can leave the hinge leaves screwed to the door and jamb.

Now remove the trim. I use a painter's scaper tool that you can buy for about $7 at most hardware or building centers. It's basically just a flat piece of steel with scraping edges on it and I use mine like a very small crowbar for things like this job.

Drive it under the trim and start carefully prying it off. Then do the same for the door jamb. If the nails stay in the jamb or trim, use some pliers or nippers and pull the finish nails through the back of the jamb/trim. It'll damage the wood less than tearing them out through the face.

Now cut the hole in the new wall, the same size as the old opening. Make sure you have some 2x4s handy to frame the opening. If possible, a double 2x4 on the hinge side will make the door installation more solid but with a small interior door like this, you could probably get by with a single stud.

Now frame the old opening with studs, keeping them lined up exactly even with the old ones. I like to use a piece of drywall as a spacer and hold it on the outside face of the stud so that I know the outside finish will be lined up flush with the existing wall and will finish smoothly. Any irregularity will be on the inside of the closet/pantry.

Nail off the studs, hang the drywall, and finish it. Now go hang the door in the new opening. You should have some shims for mounting the door jamb on the studs. I'll assume you know how to put the jamb back in the opening, just make sure it's solid and the head/jamb sides are square. Get the hinge side shimmed and nailed off, hang the door on the hinges and then work on the lock side of the jamb. Use the shims to get your spacing right, between the door and jamb. Nail it off, then re-install the trim around the jamb and you should be pretty good.

Good Luck.