+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Thumbs up What can happen to a home when it stays vacant for 3+ years?

Hi, I am new here, so please excuse me if I am in the wrong place. I am purchasing a home that is 40+ years old, a pier & beam raised ranch. The house inside seems to be level and very well cared for! All hardwood floors (I think the owner wore socks!) The owner passed away over 3 years ago. It was given to the family who come to the house weekly to mow, trim and go inside, just to make sure everything is fine. Since it has been vacant for 3+ years, I wonder what types of issues could come up? The water has been shut off all this time and the heater hasn't been on. It's on city sewer and water. Its located in a drier climate (west Texas) so the humidity is relatively low. Not much freezing during the winter either. Any thoughts? Thanks a bunch!

Default Re: What can happen to a home when it stays vacant for 3+ years?

don't know but first thing i would check is getting an extensive structure review and termite, carpenter ant, boring bee, other pests, etc. inspection. thinking condensation, moisture, vermin, and bugs, settling or washout issues, and having all services restored so can have good systems inspection and look for waste plumbing leaks and potable plumbing leaks - they might be able to pressurize both systems to check. air conditioning/heat pumps and water heaters might be shot no way to know without "firing things up" and having them inspected. if the plumbing is galvanized might be full of sediment or corrosion. faucets, toilets, anything with rubber seals or gaskets might leak from gaskets being dried out and shrunk or cracked.

Thumbs up Re: What can happen to a home when it stays vacant for 3+ years?

Oh, no central AC & heat. They had a swamp cooler for many years...they do have a propane gas wall heater though. I know, I make it sound really pretty, huh? It's actually a nice home.

Talking Re: What can happen to a home when it stays vacant for 3+ years?

Thank you blue ridge by the way, that was very helpful.:d