+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Planter box

Wink Planter box

OOOPS I just had built a planter box made from "treated" wood. Now I read that I shouldn't plant vegetables in it. Is that true?

Also -- how much soil do I need for a box 10'x3'x1'??

Default Re: Planter box

No, you should not use treated wood for vegetable planters, the chemicals will leach into the soil and be picked up by the plants.

How much fill for a 10' x 3' x 1' bed? 10 x 3 x 1 = 30 cubic feet, just over one yard. (one yard = 27 cu.ft. )
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

very true about the pressure treated leaching into it.

sprucey, do you think she could line it before filling with the soil though? so to stop any chemicals getting in
    fire up the saw and make some dust

It might work for a little while. The liner would have to be non-permeable, yet durable enough to withstand direct sun and wet soil contact
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

when i started out in carpentry 8 years ago we did a deck with a box down on the ground which was turned into a pond, basically it was formed with rocks and then lined with a pvc type blanket product, this may work. now only if i could remember the exact product name
    fire up the saw and make some dust

That is called pond liner in these parts, and it is still subject to UV degradation, that is why it is so diligently covered with rock and plantings. And in this case it is most important that the bottom have drain holes of be completely open so as not to become water logged and kill out the plants.