+ Reply to Thread

Default Main Support wall

I have a ranch style house and we have a jack and jill bathroon with a pocket door between the bathroom and the shower room. We want to open the room up by removing the pocket door wall howver i want to make sure it is not a supporting wall. What is the best way to see if the pocket door wall is a main support wall or if i will have to brace the ceiling up before removing the wall.

Thanks,

Mike

Default Re: Main Support wall

assuming you have an accessible attic space, you should be able to determine by reviewing the structure and framing if you know what you're looking at. the best way is to consult a structural engineer or architect. are there blue prints or drawings on file with a building department from a permit application? a frame carpenter might be your next best resource.

Does this wall run parallel or perpendicular to the ceiling joists above it? If parallel it is most likely not a load bearing wall, but a couple more questions would verify this. If perpendicular, odds that it is load bearing go up.

Do you have trusses or rafters in your attic? That might also help answer the question.

If you look in the attic, the wall should attach to the attic floor beams and not enter into the attic space if it is not load bearing. If it attaches to supports for the roof then it is load bearing. In a typical ranch design the outer walls are the likely load bearing walls.

Quote Originally Posted by ingacaudill View Post
    If you look in the attic, the wall should attach to the attic floor beams and not enter into the attic space if it is not load bearing. If it attaches to supports for the roof then it is load bearing. In a typical ranch design the outer walls are the likely load bearing walls.
    This is confusing and doesn't sound quite accurate.
    The decscription jkirk laid out sounds like a good way of telling. If in doubt check with a professional.

Well, if you want simple, a pocket door is not a structural component, so the door and it's accompanying pocket can be removed without fear of problems with the wall itself. Now, if you want to open the wall higher and wider than the pocket door framework, then the easiest method is to look for a header and support framing around the door.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!