+ Reply to Thread

Default Bath or No Bath?

My husband and I live in a home built in the 60's and it only has one bathroom. We are getting to point where we really need to address the shower/bath and what I want to know is, should we keep the bathtub? The bathroom is TINY and neither of us use the bathtub, but would it be a mistake to remodel it as only a shower?

Default Re: Bath or No Bath?

I'm not one to use a tub either, however IMHO, most showers tend to be a bit claustrophobic. The question I'll pose to you is, can you install a usable sized shower and really gain all that much usable space?

Can you reconfigure the layout of the bathroom to get more usable space?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

if you wanted specific applicable input, a floor plan, photos and such would be needed.

have no idea the condition or size of your original bathtub whether it makes sense to keep IT or replace it couldn't say. bathtubs come in all sorts of styles, shapes (like neoangles and such) and sizes. would you use it more often if it had a neat feature like bubble jets or whirlpool jets?

space you can borrow from a closet nearby? most 60s floor plans had linen closets with tons of wasted space that if you gain the wall area can make more efficient with built in cabinet in the bathroom instead of door and walls off the hall. another thing is if you have a huge vanity cabinet replacing with a smaller basin footprint and moving a toilet to be at a 45 from a corner or a corner tub can add space and make it more accessible. sometimes changing the door to the bathroom location or style door can make the bathroom "grow" in its useful space. think out of the box if your investing in a real bathroom remodel.

if you have more than one bedroom in the tiny house then it would probably be a mistake from a resale standpoint. if the house isn't all that tiny would adding a small shower room/toilet/sink off the master bedroom be a wiser choice? you know your market area? your realtor could probably help you with some input. realtors in the biz for a long time will help you out with this to maintain the relationship for the long term so when you do look to sell and/or upgrade you use them for the listing!

Unfortunately, the bathroom is too small to really rearrange the layout or borrow space anywhere else for that matter. The bathroom is about 11 x 6 maybe?? I am mostly wondering do we go through the effort of pulling the bad fiberglass tub and "tiles" out only to put one back in? Since our house is small, I am guess it would be a young couple/family who would buy the house next and if they had kids, would they want the bath? Would that be a big deal?
    I know I have to work with the space I have; expanding is not really an option, but I just am curious if taking the bath out would be unwise...

Quote Originally Posted by Laura03 View Post
    Unfortunately, the bathroom is too small to really rearrange the layout or borrow space anywhere else for that matter. The bathroom is about 11 x 6 maybe?? I am mostly wondering do we go through the effort of pulling the bad fiberglass tub and "tiles" out only to put one back in? Since our house is small, I am guess it would be a young couple/family who would buy the house next and if they had kids, would they want the bath? Would that be a big deal?
    I know I have to work with the space I have; expanding is not really an option, but I just am curious if taking the bath out would be unwise...
    11x6'is HUGE! lets see a floor plan!

replace the bad fiberglass tub with a combination tub/shower with an adjustable height (like the slide bars) shower wand or a dual shower head and wand and gain the free standing shower unit room. yes a multi bedroom home without a tub is usually a deal breaker or you'll take huge hit or have to rework the bath before sale, if a family with children or a couple looking to have them, not to mention the huge market segment of adults that won't consider a home without at least ONE bathtub. ask your realtor they know your market best. space savers and pre-planning multi-function use objects like blocking supports in the walls and combo safety handrails/towel racks and other safety features are big in the selling points too like GFCI protection, good ventillation quiet exaust fans, etc.
    Last edited by Blue RidgeParkway; 12-02-2008 at 02:51 PM.

I'd be inclined to leave the tub because it's the most flexible as far as use, particularly if you can't reasonably gain any usable space. If the tub doesn't have a shower, then I'd recommend adding a shower head, or at least a hand held unit that attaches to the tub spout.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

You need to leave the tub, young couples with small children need them to bath the children. You might consider looking into something like Bathfitters if you plan on selling in the near future. Another consideration would be to redo the tube in place. I have no experience with them but you might check out Bufatub .
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb