+ Reply to Thread

Default Why is my newly waxed floor sticky?

I just waxed my hardwood floors and they seem to be really tacky. we let them dry for a few hours and then went over them with a floor buffer. The floors are almost sticky! What Happened and how do I fix it before Thanksgiving?

Default Re: Why is my newly waxed floor sticky?

How long ago was the finish applied to the floor? If it's been over a month I suspect your floors were finished with shellac and the wax you used contained a solvent (alcohol) that reactivated (softened) the shellac finish.

At this point there not much you can do but give it time to cure and reharden - 2 days is asking a lot, but what's the weather like where you are? If it's decent, open the windows and get some cross ventilation it may help speed the process along.

when you tested your finish was it sound? did you wait at least overnight (that usually means at least 8-10 hours after you finished cleaning the floor) after cleaning with mineral spirits as described in the article I linked you to on the other string for the floor to dry first and not oversoak the floor with spirits before you began the waxing process? you didn't use an acrylic wax did you? paste wax should have been completely hazed over before you buffed it a very thin layer is normally hazed over in less than a half hour. you might have put way too much wax down on a floor not dried from the mineral spirits if thats what you used to clean the floor, or did you use something else to clean the floor?

you wiped it on lightly not poured it on the floor right? has there been any more hazing of the previously buffed finish?

what happens if you buff an area with a clean wool pad instead of the cotton rag you used? mineral spirits can be used to strip paste wax layer down with the finishing steel wool as before, wipe off the softened stripped goo with a rag and/or paper towels, then let the floor dry for a long while, then buff with lambs wool/wool pad if you applied too much paste wax that should fix it.

if turns out you used acrylic wax and not paste wax that would explain the stickyness. they have to be stripped either with their special strippers or sometimes ammonia solution works, mineral spirits doesn't do much.

Did you use a stripper before waxing? If you did, did you dilute it before applying. If those strippers are not diluted first, you can't rinse the floor enough to prevent it from contaminating the new wax layer. To correct it, you have to strip it again, but with the stripper at its max dilution ratio, then re-wax.

I didn't use mineral spirits to clean it. I used a heavy duty cleaner for waxed wood floors. We scrubed it down with the cleaner and steel wool. We let it dry overnight and then put the wax on. I did pour it on the floor and then spread it with the wool applicator. We waited an hour and then put a 2nd coat of wax on the same way as the 1st time. Then I think it dried for 3 or more hours then buffed it with a big floor buffer. The floor buffer has a "foam" kind of pad. It's white and kind of like a scubby sponge but not rough.
    We buffed it again a little bit ago and it seems to be a little better. If I buff it with a clean wool buffer it's about the same.
    I just remembered... When I was putting the wax on it turned pinkish from the fresh stain on the floor. we waited 30 minutes but it didn't soak in some areas. Could that be the problem?

I never wax a wood floor so I have no experience with this. You said you poured the wax on, did you use a polish rather than a wax? Could it be that the product you used is not compatible with what was on the floor already?

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by AubreyB View Post
    I didn't use mineral spirits to clean it. I used a heavy duty cleaner for waxed wood floors. We scrubed it down with the cleaner and steel wool. We let it dry overnight and then put the wax on. I did pour it on the floor and then spread it with the wool applicator. We waited an hour and then put a 2nd coat of wax on the same way as the 1st time. Then I think it dried for 3 or more hours then buffed it with a big floor buffer. The floor buffer has a "foam" kind of pad. It's white and kind of like a scubby sponge but not rough.
    We buffed it again a little bit ago and it seems to be a little better. If I buff it with a clean wool buffer it's about the same.
    I just remembered... When I was putting the wax on it turned pinkish from the fresh stain on the floor. we waited 30 minutes but it didn't soak in some areas. Could that be the problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by AubreyB View Post
    Well, it turns out that the floor was waxed. We just gave it a big time cleaning and then put down a liquid paste wax. We buffed it with a floor buffer with an old towel on it. The floor looks Great!!
    Now I just have to work on the dining room... That is the worst floor in the house! Some parts are naked wood because I stripped paint and wax and stain off it. Other parts are beautiful, some parts have been stripped by cat pee...
    It's a mess!! I'll put up pictures later.

Thanks!!
    changing stories too confusing. now you have fresh stain on the floor with a wax and you poured wax on the floor twice without buffing in between?

I'd like to see pictures and a picture of the product you used. why would you pour two coats of thick wax on the floor or put stain down before you cleaned the floor?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue RidgeParkway View Post
    changing stories too confusing. now you have fresh stain on the floor with a wax and you poured wax on the floor twice without buffing in between?

I'd like to see pictures and a picture of the product you used. why would you pour two coats of thick wax on the floor or put stain down before you cleaned the floor?
    Sorry!! I have 2 diferent posts, one is the living room floor the other is the dining room. The living room does look wonderful, it's all done. Nice and shiny, I left the old worn parts alone in there. OK enough about that room.

The dining room is the one I'm having issues with. That is what this post is about. We did clean the floor, we scrubbed it with a heavy duty cleaner and then some areas needed a little stain, a few needed a lot of stain. We let it dry and then waxed over it. We let the first layer of wax dry and then put a 2nd coat on and let it dry. Them we used a floor buffer and polished it shiny. It is very shiny but it is a little tacky.

Question, is it tacky everywhere or just where you applied stain?
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb