Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    St Louis, MO

    Default Space between range and cabinets

    Hello, I recently bought a house with an older kitchen(ie: metal cabinets and such, which me and my wife love so we'd like to keep them there. My question is the range space is for around a 40 or 48 inch oven, sorry havent yet. Anyway we are wanting to purchase a new oven but we really don't need one that large. I know they make inserts to hide the space but not sure where to look or really even what they are called. Any help? Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2010

    Default Re: Space between range and cabinets

    standard range opening is 30in. you're talking about filling 10-18in of space. you can put a whole nother cabinet in there at 18in lol. You can always go with 2 cabinet blinds, one on either side to keep it symmetrical. *shrug*

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    keweenaw (Copper Country) of MI

    Thumbs up Re: Space between range and cabinets

    Hi. You could get a cabinet that a range insert slides into. It is a stove but has no bottom drawer or feet. It will probably have to be a custom cabinet. You could have a drawer below and on the shallow sides cabinets for trays and baking sheets or pullouts with spice rack or pullout for cooking oil, things needed near the stove. Check with an appliance dealer. Kitchen islands sometimes have this type of insert stove. Good luck.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2011

    Default Re: Space between range and cabinets

    I was going to say the same thing as KeithW--don't waste all that space on a filler, get another cabinet. There are vintage steel cabinets available all over the place--eBay, Craigslist, and on the forums at just see what you find.

    It doesn't have to fit exactly--maybe you'll find, say, a 15" cabinet and then you can just use a 3" filler (assuming you're going with a 30" range). As long as the cabinet you get is basically the same style--and vintage steel cabinets only came in a few styles--you can repaint them all, swap out the pull/knob on the new one, and no one will know the difference. It doesn't need to be symmetrical. If you look at 1930s-1950s kitchens (i.e. from the era when steel cabinets were rampant), plenty of them are asymmetrical. You can even find independent sink base units that were sold separately, to be installed if you couldn't afford the whole kitchen yet, where the sink base unit wasn't symmetrical (you might have a single-bowl sink in the center and a drainboard on either side, and under one drainboard was a door, but under the other drainboard was a bunch of drawers). It'll look fine as long as it's the same basic style and same color as the rest of your cabinets.
    Last edited by ideagirl; 03-27-2011 at 06:16 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts