+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Floor 4" off

Threaded View

Default Floor 4" off

One of those days with a bunch of ideas but not sure which is best. The kitchen floor from one end to the other is about 4" off. This is a 107 year old house. In the basement under the kitchen, it is obvious the foundation and first floor were "re-supported" where the rear corner of the house sagged. The problem is they didn't jack up the house the just put in a new beam across the back of the house. In that section the basement floor is wood. There are cut outs in the floor where they dug out the dirt and installed cement piers for the lally columns supporting the beam. It appears they did a good job of supporting but had know intention of leveling. There is a 4" deficit from the entrance of the kitchen to the back wall. What is the best way to go 0 to 4. I thought of cutting the floor joists loose from the wall studs and lifting them but it is balloon framing and the wall studs go 20 feet up. I'm uncomfortable with removing anything nailed to wall studs when it comes to balloon framing. I wonder if I should just cut wedge shape 2 by to go on the floor over the floor joists. is that okay or is it the "half @ss" way?
    Last edited by rwhnze; 11-24-2008 at 02:32 AM.