+ Reply to Thread

Default switch/outlet combo

Ok, Im having trouble with this one as someone before me tried to run new wires. In theory, I have a switch/outlet combo on the wall. The single outlet is supposed to be "hot" all the time and the switch is meant to operate the garbage disposal. However, the disposal and the dishwasher run off an outlet under the sink. The bottom of that outlet (lower half) is supposed to be "hot" all the time for the dishwasher, but the upper (top half) is to only have power when the switch is thrown. The repair that was attempted before I came onto the scene has left the switch working the outlet part of the combo and not sending any power what so ever to the outlet under the sink. The new wires that have been run are a green and 2 reds and are not connected to anything. I can run more wiring (the traditional black and white) but Im stumped as to how I need to wire up the switch/outlet combo.

Default Re: switch/outlet combo

On the switch/outlet combo the one side with the brass screws should have a jumper between the outlet and the switch. You connect power to the brass screw and common the the other side of the outlet that way the outlet is always hot. The other side of the switch goes to the outlet for the disposal so it is controled by the switch. You should then have a wire from the hot side of the switch to the dishwasher outlet brass screw and a white wire from the common to the other side of the under counter outlets. The outlet under the counter should have the 2 silver screws jumper together the other side needs to have the jumper between the two brass screws removed.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Here's a rough drawing of the circuit. I left the ground wires out of the description and the drawing. By the way code would require this circuit be GFCI protected.
    Jack
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	switched outlet[1].jpg 
Views:	280 
Size:	11.2 KB 
ID:	1848  
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 11-24-2008 at 12:57 AM.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

thanks so much for the responses.....it is working properly now!