+ Reply to Thread

Question Replaced Water Heater (Galvanized Pipe) no Hot Water Pressure for Bathroom Sink only

Well I took on replacing the water heater when the old one started leaking, Got it all back in and have good water pressure at the bath tub and basement utility sink but the hot water only barely comes out of the bathroom sink. Can't check the kitchen sink since I am still working on it had to replace one of the shut offs there because I could not turn off the hot water side and thought that replacing both at kitchen sink while had the water shut off to the old house. Still have to get the kitchen sink going but I put in 1/4 turn shutoff valves and they had shutoffs with compression fitting on old shut offs one piece and with the new 1/4 turn ones it is a little more involved in getting them connected.

Anyway my bathroom sink has little pressure on the hot water side after replacing the hot water heater and it is all galvanized pipe.

Any ideas why the water barely comes out on the hot side? Is there an easy way to check the pipes for a clog hate to have to tear open the wall behind the sink to get access to the pipe though some is open in the basement just not sure why only there it is low when the water line also feeds the bathroom tub and ends at the bsmt utility sink? The lines T off the bathroom sink and supply the tub through the wall. The cold works fine just the hot?

Any information would be welcome as to what I can do to correct this???

Thanks,
    MMeehan

Default Re: Replaced Water Heater (Galvanized Pipe) no Hot Water Pressure for Bathroom Sink o

Presuming that your bathroom sink faucet is really just that...(one spout from which both hot and cold emerge)...we can eliminate a clogged aerator cause that would effect the flow from both hot and cold.

Most likely down to one of two things...both of which could result from gunk breaking free and floating up when the pressure was off and then re-introduced.

1- Gunk inside faucet itself. Will require some disassembly and cleaning. Shut off both supply valves under the sink and go to work. You will need to disassemble, remove and then clean a cartridge...or similar. Exactly what is in there depends upon the make of the faucet, etc. Once you have the guts out of the faucet, slowly open the valves, one at a time...just enough to cause just a bit of flow to wash out any gunk that may be inside yet. Water is gonna come out where it normally doesn't so be prepared to control that/mop it up. Make sure you get any and all gunk out of the cartridge or similar. (Pay VERY close attention to things as you disassemble so everything gets back exactly where it came from. If you think you might forget or not notice something....keep a dig-cam handy and take pictures as you proceed.)

2- There might be a slug of gunk caught inside the supply valve innards. Getting that out will depend upon where the gunk is. Might be able to remove the stem and do it that way (flush it out), but....you'll have to turn off the main valve or you'll have water everywhere as soon as you open things up. Flushing it can get to be a big hassle in short order unless you have a helper who can turn the main on and off at your command. Might be simpler to just turn off the main and remove the valve, disassemble and clean. Then reassemble and see what you've got.

If neither of these works to remedy the problem, post back.

Default Re: Replaced Water Heater (Galvanized Pipe) no Hot Water Pressure for Bathroom Sink o

There is only one shut off for the bathroom sink and it is for the cold water side. To shut the hot side I will have to either shut off the cold into the water heater or the main water into the house and then open the lowest hot water point which would be in the BSMT and then wait till it drains out some of the water. As for bathroom sink faucet it is old and has two lines one going to each side. It comes out of the wall about 3 inches and the 90's up one pipe to each side that has 3/8 size fitting and the lines that are coming out of the wall are 3/8 not the normal 1/2 so it might be a bit more being the sink drops right in to with small lines that go into the 90 that turns in towards the wall. Looks like I will have to remove the sink and pull the waste line and the two water lines to get to it where it might be clogged up just beng avey small sink in a small cabinet it will take a bit to get it apart and getting the sink out might be a bit to getting it out. Thanks for the information just not much with plumbing always have some leaks and getting them right is never been something I can get done. Yet electrical and low voltage I can do all day something about plumbing andhaving to make a lot of times to get all the right length pipes just is too much time going back for the right size... The water heater was 5 trips including getting the water heater just never goes smooth but can't afforda plumber these days...

I will see what I can do to get it apart and back together...

MMeehan