+ Reply to Thread

Default what is this not quite an o ring?

I have an Essense plastic gas container, which I understand from web grubbing is a discontinued Rubbermaid product.

The thing that looks like an o ring that's part of the spout assembly has broken, so gas slobbers everywhere when I pour it. The hardware store says it's not actually an o ring because it has a slot in it, and that they don't carry whatever it is.

Emailing Rubbermaid just gets bot generated useless replies. Does anyone know what this thing is called, so I can try to find it somewhere? I hate throwing out an otherwise perfectly good plastic container that will be in a landfill until the sun goes nova.

Thanks.

Default Re: what is this not quite an o ring?

I believe I know the gasket you speak of. You will not likely find an off the shelf replacement for it. Here's three ideas that may help out.
    1 - Take the broken gasket to several auto parts stores and see if they have anything similar, you never know what you'll find.
    2 - purchase petroleum resistant gasket material and make your own gasket.
    3 - Find a hydraulic repair shop in your area and take the gasket to them. They may have a similar material that they can make a custom gasket from. Believe it or not, this particular idea saved an antique butlers tray from the heap yard when a client needed new rubber wheels for it. The point is, thinking outside the box will be the order of the day.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks for the ideas. Love your sig :-)

I did look at getting an entirely new container, and apparently they now come with devilish nozzles to meet some government standard, that instead result in people spilling gas everywhere. So I'm hoping to get this working.

Quote Originally Posted by karen anne View Post
    apparently they now come with devilish nozzles to meet some government standard, that instead result in people spilling gas everywhere. So I'm hoping to get this working.
    You've noticed that too? Leave it to stupidity to F-up what used to be a good thing. If all else fails, go to a motorcycle shop and find one of their refill cans. They've got hoses on the spouts for easy filling of ATV equipment.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!