+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shower faucet

Default Shower faucet

When we shut the shower faucet off it makes a loud banging noise. What causes this and how can i fix it.
    Last edited by CHUCKS; 11-23-2008 at 05:12 PM. Reason: spelling

Default Re: Shower faucet

Sounds like water hammer. Do an internet search for water hammer, plenty of info.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

IF you would install plastic piping in your wall i think that would fix it! The noise you are hearing is coming from the water pipes expanding and contracting! Good luck i don't think it is an easy fix with out opeing your wall up!

i disagree with Elijah. Shower risers shouldn't be plastic pipe or pex they should be metal pipe copper or galv and secured.

if you have a plumbing wall or shutoffs to the faucet check the stops to see if they are fully open. you might need to drain the pipes to let air back in the air chambers or the capped stubs of the water pipes that overrun their attachment to the stops or the change in direction before they go to the tub faucet. also try flipping the diverter back to the tub position before you turn off the water to the shower and turning off the water to the faucet a little more slowly. if you have one of those single handle jobs where you turn it left or right for water temperature and pull to turn on and push to turn it off you might need some maintenance.