+ Reply to Thread

Default Replaced 40 yr boiler & HTWTR & it is less efficient!

I have a 60's ranch in Bergen County, NJ that had the orginal gas fired boiler and separate gas hot water heater. We were having trouble getting the house warm enough in the real cold days last winter so we were advised to replace the boiler with a new more efficient Crown and their indirect hot water tank with a new "zone" for it.
    We still have trouble getting the house warm enough and my gas consumption in the summer went up with running the boiler all year round for hot water rather than just a traditional hot water heater. What gives? I thought this would be a energy saving move? I have had the contractor look at it but he can't find anything wrong. I do not have much confidence in his abilities at this point. Any ideas?
    Thanks

Default Re: Replaced 40 yr boiler & HTWTR & it is less efficient!

I'm stumped---this is exactly the install method widely used to get the opposite results of what you're getting.

The only thing I can think of is the installer put in too big a boiler.

Could you advise the total sqare footage of the heated portions building (including cellars & storage areas)
    and the boiler model # and btu output stamped on the label of the boiler.

Crown has a good reputation in both boilers and indirects.
    Last edited by NashuaTech; 11-23-2008 at 01:23 PM.

The house is approx 3000 sq feet, not including the garage.
    The model Crown boiler is TAWI162ENST1PSU and says "162,000 input, 132,000 output". The indirect is a Crown Megastor MS40 (39 gallon)
    thanks you for your help

PM issued.

The size of the piping, the condition of the piping can be factors that hurt or reduce efficiency. Hot water systems can build up scale and rust that reduces heat transfer. Also your Boiler may be slightly small depending on the insulation and types of windows in your house. Do you have single pain aluminum windows ? They are the worst. The aluminum acts like a radiator conducting the cold outside.

The size and location of you baseboard could also be a factor. If the baseboard was not sized correctly to begin with it will hurt your efficiency.

I agree---especially about sizing the baseboard (radiators).

A post with "g and a's mom" demonstrates a method of sizing baseboard---post back if you have radiators instead of baseboard.