+ Reply to Thread

Default Repair rubbery rug backing to save a favorit rug

Going green often means recycling items we already love and that match the existing decor. What kind of product can be spread over the back of a rubbery backing to fill and repair the cracks that form over time? It would need to bind to the existing backing and cure well so no gunk comes off on floors. Any ideas of new products on the market? Advice greatly appreciated!
    <Green smiley face here>

Default Re: Repair rubbery rug backing to save a favorit rug

How about getting some anti-skid mat that is sold for rugs and cut a piece the shape of your rug and stitch it in place. It should contain the crumbs that are flaking off the rug and still be non-skid.
    Last edited by ed21; 04-30-2010 at 03:13 PM.

Default Re: Repair rubbery rug backing to save a favorit rug

Quote Originally Posted by ed21 View Post
    How about getting some anti-skid mat that is sold for rugs and cut a piece the shape of your rug and stitch it in place. It should contain the crumbs that are flaking off the rug and still be non-skid.
    Any generic anti-skid mat will do. We've used this method just loose under non-backed throw rugs in the bathroom with great success.

I have heard from my carpet installer that you can take carpet remnants to an upholstery shop and they can bind the edge and apply a rubber backing. It's worth calling around to find out. When you call, if the person says no, always ask if they can think of another company locally that will.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!