+ Reply to Thread

Default Water Running Into Garage from Driveway

I have a detached 2 car garage that sits back behind and to the side of my house that is accessible from my driveway that runs along side. I recently noticed that the driveway level is about 2-3 inches higher than the garage floor, so when it rains the the water tends to run back and collect in puddles in front of each garage door. I was doing some research on the internet and read about a concrete apron to raise the level of the ground that the garage doors sit on to the same level of the driveway. I don't anticipate being in the house much longer so I'm looking for the most cost effective way to fix this problem. Any advice would be appreciated.

Wink Re: Water Running Into Garage from Driveway

Since you are planning on leaving, I would put in a french drain accross the front of the garage and run it away from the garage into a stone pit. This isn't expensive to do and it will help with selling the house because you won't have puddles in front of the garage. I wouldn't go very deep, just enough to put a couple inches of 2B stone, a 3" perforated pipe, more 2B stone, felt paper and topsoil. This should be a good short term fix, and maybe a lot longer fix.

Calcats

Default Re: Water Running Into Garage from Driveway

Thanks. I'm assuming this would entail digging up the driveway in front of the garage and putting in a driveway grate over top so that the water just runs in and then is carried out and away? If that's the case, my next question is where would I drain it to? The garage is surrounded by my back yard on all sides but the front, could I just run the pipe into the lawn and have it drain there?

You could do that or dig a pit 3'x3'x3' fill it with 2B stone and run the pipe into it. This will allow the water to seep into the ground at its own rate, unless you have all clay. If you have clay heavy rains may take more time to seep but you should still be ok. As far as digging up the driveway, it it is concrete you might want to get a cement contractor give you a price cutting it with a concrete saw and put a drain trough in place and pour concrete around it. You can still do the ditch from the trough to the pit by yourself to save some money. But, if the contractor is going to use a backhoe to tear up the driveway, you might persuade him to do the drain since he will have the equipment already on site. Hope this helps.

Calcats

I want to start this thread up again...I have the same problem as GREGW and wonder if anyone on the forum has further advice.

We also have an asphalt driveway that is higher than the garage floor. The driveway slopes towards the garage from street level. There is a slight "ridge" parallel to the garage opening to route water away, but in heavy rains the water washes over and into the garage.

I have thought of putting in a channel drain or a French drain in front of the garage opening, but because of other concrete fence walls and poor drainage surrounding the garage there is no easy route for the water to follow once it is in the drain.

We are planning a renovation is a few years so I want something easy and inexpensive for now. Is there some sort of asphalt compound that can be used to build up the ridge in front of the garage, rather than trenching and channeling.....sort of a "raising the dyke" option. We don't drive a car into the garage (it is for storage and workshop), so I can make it as high as needed. We live in the Pacific NorthWest so it needs to handle heavy rains and occasional snow.

Any suggestions??

Quote Originally Posted by rickpantel View Post
    Is there some sort of asphalt compound that can be used to build up the ridge in front of the garage, rather than trenching and channeling.....sort of a "raising the dyke" option.
    You can purchase bags of asphalt from the home center OR buy it in bulk from a supplier OR hire an asphalt company to com and install a larger ridge. Just make sure that doing so doesn't redirect the water into another problem area.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    You can purchase bags of asphalt from the home center OR buy it in bulk from a supplier OR hire an asphalt company to com and install a larger ridge. Just make sure that doing so doesn't redirect the water into another problem area.
    Any idea on the pricing for the asphalt company?

Price would vary depending on location and company chosen. Consult your phone book and call at least 3 different companies for quotes.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I'm such a visual person, I have to see the problem to develop a solution.