+ Reply to Thread

Default Towel Bar mount will penetrate HVAC duct, is that a problem?

Hi -

New to board and first post!

I am in the process of moving a towel bar in the masterbath. First location was on a wall with a pocket door and couldn't get a stable mount without studs. So moved to opposite wall and am halfway through when I realize that one of the ends of the towel bar will be anchored where there is ductwork in the wall. Will this be a problem? I wanted to use those spring toggle bolts to anchor, not sure if that is an option into the ductwork, any suggestions on anchoring?

Many thanks!

David

Default Re: Towel Bar mount will penetrate HVAC duct, is that a problem?

If this is a supply duct ... then I would say .... it shouldn't be done.
    Those toggle bolts need a fair sized hole to fit the toggle through leaving a good size place for air leakage.

If it can't be moved over to the left or right avoiding the duct then maybe consider a strip of wood fastened to studs and fasten the towel bar to that.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Hi Canuk -

Thanks for the reply; unfortunately, it is a supply duct, though at the very end of a run. Your point on the leakage of the toggle bolt hole was exactly my concern. The idea of a strip of wood may be the best answer, could have a piece with a decorative edging. I may go that route...but if I end up using the toggle bolts, could a seal the hole with a caulk??

thanks

David

could a seal the hole with a caulk??
    That would very difficult ... if not impossible .... to properly do once the towel bar is mounted.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Hi -

New to board and first post!

I am in the process of moving a towel bar in the masterbath. First location was on a wall with a pocket door and couldn't get a stable mount without studs. So moved to opposite wall and am halfway through when I realize that one of the ends of the towel bar will be anchored where there is ductwork in the wall. Will this be a problem? I wanted to use those spring toggle bolts to anchor, not sure if that is an option into the ductwork, any suggestions on anchoring?

Many thanks!

David
    Penetration in the wall means the headache. For this reason i always suggest to other people usage of magnet towel bar mount. Its easy to use and handy.

troubleshooting and problem-solving will make you more productive and profitable ...... and exterior surfaces of HVAC duct systems, and wherever effective ...

Quote Originally Posted by jessjane View Post
    Penetration in the wall means the headache. For this reason i always suggest to other people usage of magnet towel bar mount. Its easy to use and handy.
    I also prefer magnet towel bar mount. These are best.