+ Reply to Thread

Default Show TOH your DIY transformations!

Tell Us Your Story! Did you renovate your house and do most of the work yourself? If so, we'd like to hear about your project. Please send us:
    -Copies of before and after photos
    -A floor plan
    -A brief description of the work you did
    -PLEASE NOTE: WE CANNOT RETURN ANY OF THE MATERIALS THAT YOU SUBMIT TO US! SO PLEASE SEND COPIES!

Send submissions to:
    This Old House/Transformations
    1185 Avenue of the Americas, 27th Floor
    New York, NY 10036

Or, email images and information to: transformations@thisoldhouse.com

You can also post stories and photos here, and I will contact you via private message if our editors are interested in featuring your project!

*You'll receive a payment of $250 if your home is featured.

Default Re: Show TOH your DIY transformations!

From the TOH ****** EDITORS inbox:

I've been an avid reader of this old house for may years and always surf
    around trying to catch an episode on one of many cable stations. I just
    finished a project I wanted to share with others. I reused my old hot
    tub to make a pond out behind my house. The entire story from beginning
    to end is posted on my website (just for this email, I don't run a
    public site) . It would be a thrill to actually get my story in the
    magazine. Take a look, I think you'll find it very interesting.

Old Yankee ingenuity meet modern recycle mentality.

http://www.opositive.com/pond/

I do have full size high res pictures if you do decide to do anything
    with it. I've attached a before and after, but there are other pictures at the site.

Dave C Martin
    [Contact information redacted]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pond13_400.jpg 
Views:	358 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	110   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pond8_400.jpg 
Views:	339 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	111  
    Last edited by Moderator; 09-05-2007 at 01:46 PM.

No before pictures, nothing but a small porch, but SHMBO wanted a sun porch so here is the one I designed and built.

Name:	012806 004 (Large).jpg 
Views:	304 
Size:	21.9 KB 
ID:	114   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	012806 018 (Large).jpg 
Views:	303 
Size:	19.9 KB 
ID:	115   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	012806 019 (Large).jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	116   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	020906 009 (Large).jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	21.7 KB 
ID:	117   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	020906 010 (Large).jpg 
Views:	316 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	118  

Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

You can see lots of photos and a description of what I did here in my website under The Goose Hill Rd Project
    HTTP://WWW.CLIFFORDRENOVATIONS.COM
    and in the listing in THE VIRTUAL TOURyou can see the floor plan and a virtual tour....and yes..I listed the house just a cpl of weeks ago after over five years working on it full time
    http://www.vifp.com/p/panorama.php?B...ls=1987084&r=1
    My favorite saying is, "A finished house, is a listed house" <--wife hates that...lol

I recently purchased a 1958 ranch style home that had not seen many updates since the initial construction. I have replaced all the windows and doors as well as remodeled every room in the house except for the bathroom. That's coming shortly! For this thread, I will submit the kitchen renovation since I think it is the most dramatic change. It had built-in pine cabinets with rought-iron hinges and draw pulls. I installed all new maple cabinets and granite counters. All appliances are stainless and so is the sink and faucett. I removed the old laminate floor down to the subfloor and installed the Cottage series from Pergo. To do it again, I would put in real hardwood! I hope you like it. I performed all the work myself.

Name:	kitchen before1.jpg 
Views:	297 
Size:	19.0 KB 
ID:	218   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kitchen before_2.jpg 
Views:	289 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	219   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kitchen during_2.jpg 
Views:	305 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	221   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kitchen after_1.jpg 
Views:	306 
Size:	18.5 KB 
ID:	222   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kitchen after_2.jpg 
Views:	307 
Size:	17.0 KB 
ID:	223  

Regards,
    Todd Hammond

My wife and I bought a 1600 square foot 2-story colonial in 2000. After building a small 28x36 foot sturcture beside the house for her daycare business we decided to add a garage to our home and perhaps a new family room on the back for our growing family. We ended up adding a little over 4000 square feet. This has been a do-it-ourselves project with indispensible help from one of her brothers. We're doing it without a loan and in our spare time. While it has taken us nearly three years so far (and we're a little over half done) this has been a great approach because we're able to put a lot of thought into it and make on-the-spot changes as ideas occur to us. We get a lot of great ideas from This Old House magazine and television show. I'm the general contractor, electrician, plumber, grunt labor, etc. It's a lot of work but it's a lot of fun too.

Name:	Before.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	227   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	After.jpg 
Views:	273 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	228   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Garage.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	229   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FamilyRm.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	21.9 KB 
ID:	230   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Porch.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	231  

Al H.

It wasn't a very BIG project, but OH OH OH what a difference this made (I just did this last Saturday!).

Name:	9-22-07 project I.jpg 
Views:	320 
Size:	23.5 KB 
ID:	234   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9-22-07 project done.jpg 
Views:	323 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	235  
    Last edited by Blue Moon; 10-01-2007 at 08:41 PM. Reason: spelling error

We recently remodeled our 10' x 20' U-shaped kitchen for under $7000. As you may have guessed from my username, I'm pretty frugal. However, frugal doesn't have to mean shoddy. To save money and because I enjoy renovating, I wanted to reuse as many cupboards as possible and do as much of the work as I could do myself. I had taken a CAD course at the local community college so I used CAD to accurately draw out my plans and calculate the best way to reposition the cupboards. At the time I was taking care of my 99-year old father and didn't have the skills to do the entire remodel myself. The work entailed removing a non-load bearing wall adjacent to our den to create a 20' x 20' family room/kitchen. We hired a husband/wife carpentry team to help with the demolition, tile counters, reposition the cupboards and install the wood floors. In the evenings I ran the electrical and installed new lighting fixtures. We relocated the microwave and upper cupboards from the wall above the stove and created an island with raised counter for seating. The island was designed to accommodate a small chest freezer that we placed on furniture glides for ease in moving. When the local home improvement store wanted $285 for a narrow spice rack next to the stove, I used a leftover cabinet front, purchased the sliding hardware, and made my own rack for $35. We repositioned all the cupboards around the now L-shaped exterior walls and placed overhead and side cabinets around the refrigerator. We reused the laminate countertop that was adjacent to the stove by cutting it down and reinstalling it elsewhere. The white tile backsplash already around the sink and and existing counters was extended to the new counters with left over tiles the former owner had left in the basement. A year earlier my brother and I had made a very nice cutting board that rested on top of the chest freezer. We ordered a set of 36" wide, deep drawers and placed the cutting board on top to create a new baking station under the repositioned microwave. The island was covered with economical 6" terra cotta tiles and trimmed with oak to match the existing cabinets. I disassembled the kitchen fan, spray painted the paddles and brass motor housing white and reinstalled it to match den fan. The kitchen fan also had a light fixture. I disconnected the light, capped off the bottom where the fixture originally hung using a 25 cent part from a thrift shop fan, and used the wires to power new recessed ceiling lights. New 3/4" oak flooring tied the two rooms together (one formerly had linoleum, the other carpet). My sister and I spent 2 days scraping the popcorn ceilings - a horrible job. The kitchen side was badly damaged from where the former cupboards hung and replacement popcorn would have cost $800. Our solution was a quick coating of drywall compound knocked down to look like a gentle stucco. Once primed and painted it looked great. We built a banquette with an overhead spot light in the corner of the family room - a popular spot for reading the morning paper, playing cards, as well as dining. The corner table was made from scrap wood and a used pedestal base. The wood table top was covered with burlap (ala HGTV) and topped with a piece of glass. I made a drop down leaf at the end of the island (jusst visible in the second photo). It too was covered with burlap, trimmed with oak then coated with polyurethane to make a hard cleanable surface. A piano hinge allowed the table top to fold up and down easily. Since the distance from the table top to the floor was longer than the length of the table top, I used one of my father's metal extension canes to create a collapsing leg that was hidden when closed. I painted both rooms including all trim, installed new switches, outlets and plates, and hung new wood mini blinds. The major part of the project took only 5 days (demolition of the wall, building the island, all electrical, rehanging cupboards). The floors took 2 1/2 days, ceiling as mentioned, and painting was completed as time permitted. Our new family room/kitchen instantly became a favorite gathering spot, could easily seat 12-14 for meals, and was the biggest asset when it came time to sell the house.

Name:	TOH wall before.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	1439   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TOH island.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	76.9 KB 
ID:	1440   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TOH banquet.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	1442   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TOH family room.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	71.1 KB 
ID:	1443   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TOH kitchen wall before.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	21.7 KB 
ID:	1444  

I just wanted to show you our projects. We got the fence plans right from TOH. We've gotten many compliments from passers by and even from our town mayor!! This type of fence is not seen in our area.

My husband also built a deck for us and it came out wonderfully. Tom's advice for making the stair stringers really was a help.

Many thanks to TOH for their great advice!

Name:	NewFenceb4Painting-sml.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	2582   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NewFence2-sml.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	2583   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OurYard-sml.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	2584   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NewDeck2-sml.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	15.5 KB 
ID:	2585   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NewDeck-sml.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	2586