+ Reply to Thread

Question Covering masonite walls

The walls of my boyfriend's living room are covered with painted masonite, with pieces of trim covering the seams. We would like to remove the trim and repaint. What is the easiest way to cover the seams and smooth out the wall? Installing drywall is not an option right now.

Default Re: Covering masonite walls

If you're not going to hang drywall then I'd leave the trim that covers the seams, where it is. There's just not going to be any elegant solution. I'd either leave the molding/trim where it is until you can do it with drywall or tear it off and caulk the seams. But that assumes that the seams are neat and thin, behind the molding and can be caulked neatly. I don't think I'd assume that, though.

Good Luck.

Thanks for the reply. There are many layers of paint built up behind the trim, making the walls rather uneven, so caulking probably wouldn't work. We figured just leaving the trim where it is would have to do until we are able to put up drywall.

Thanks again.

Well if you're not going to be able to replace the trim or drywall I would leave it as it is today. Prime with Kilz and repaint.