+ Reply to Thread

Threaded View

Question HELP!! My Small, U-Shaped Kitchen needs to GROW!!

My kitchen is u-shaped, too small for more than one person to cook in it at a time, and is driving my family and me CRAZY!! I would SO appreciate any design advice or help you can give, as to what we could do to help solve this problem. My husband and I are at a total loss as to where to even start with this project. Our budget is basically limited to using the existing cabinets and flooring, with the possibility of adding more cabinets, island, or any other useful items or products.

Let me explain what I now have. Take a U and turn it upside down. In the top of the upside down U, I have my sink with a window looking into the garage, in front of it. To the bottom right, I have the dishwasher, with 3 cabinet doors above. The dishwasher has approximately 4 inches of wood on the right side of it, and the U-shape starts down at that point. On the right leg of that section of the U, there are 2, 16 inch cabinet doors. Inside the cabinet, the area to the left, from the front of the dishwasher to the back of it, inside the cabinet, is an area that cannot be accessed because it is so deep in that left cabinet area. On the back side of this leg of the U, there is an overhanging countertop bar area, where 2 or 3 barstools are located. Heading back to the sink to the left, there is 3 inches and the left side of the U turns and has 2 cabinet doors matching the ones on the opposite side of the U, on the bottom, and unlike the opposite side, has an additional 3 cabinet doors on top. At the end of the U shape on the left, there is a door leading to the dining room, and then the fridge, which opens with a right-side hinge into the door opening. To the left of the fridge, there is a 1 door top and bottom cabinet, just wide enough to place the microwave on the countertop. To the left of this, is a free-standing stove, with a top and bottom cabinet to the left of this, which ends at the same place as the U part of the cabinet with the bar. As you can see, SMALL and boxed in!! To the right of the upside-down U, boxed in area, there is a space to walk into the great room, and the right of that a bay window, large enough for a round 4-seat table.

I realize that I have gone into a lot of detail, and I hope that I haven't bored you to sleep with it, but I needed you to get a clear picture of what we are facing when thinking about a remodel. We had considered opening up the dining room area in some way, but don't have a clue how to even start with that, but otherwise, we have NOTHING even coming to mind. I pride myself on my decor and remodeling projects, but this one has me stumped! Can anyone out there offer any advice?? It would mean so much. I have attached pictures for you to get a better idea. Please excuse the mess, I was cleaning when I decided to write!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0002.jpg 
Views:	423 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	3480   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0003.jpg 
Views:	355 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	3481   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0004.jpg 
Views:	309 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	3482   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0005.jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	3483   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0006.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	86.2 KB 
ID:	3484