+ Reply to Thread

Default Trouble replacing interior door

I had to replace an interior door (24x80, hollow). I saved the old door as a template for size. I removed about 1/8" off the new door to match. I cut out for the hinges and replaced. The door fits nicely in the frame, but after hanging will not close, it hits the frame. This should be a simple replacement, but I'm at a loss. Any ideas what I may have done wrong?

thanks

Default Re: Trouble replacing interior door

just a couple of quick ideas.

were the hinges recessed?
    the leading edge of the door at the latch should have just a slight bevel.

I would guess you probably missed the bevel as Havana pointed out but the other thing that can cause this is not having the hinge as deep in the slot as the original. You can check that by measuring the distance from the edge of the hinge to the edge of the door and comparing that with the original.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thank you both for your replies, much appreciated. Yes, the hinges are recessed, I recessed them to be flush with the door...?

I did not notice a bevel on the opening edge of the old door. I will double check.

If both solutions turn up negative...what then?

Again, you advice is much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by bugchucker View Post
    Thank you both for your replies, much appreciated. Yes, the hinges are recessed, I recessed them to be flush with the door...?

I did not notice a bevel on the opening edge of the old door. I will double check.

If both solutions turn up negative...what then?

Again, you advice is much appreciated!
    It is all too easy to mortise the hinges too deep, even if only a fraction of an inch, which results in the door binding against the hinge jamb. If you're certain that you got the hinges exactly flush, what about the screws? If even one screw is angled it can cause that hinge to not close fully, resulting in a bind situation. If the hinges are good, screws are good, and the reveal is good on the hinge side of the door when the door is closed, then the issue will be on the latch side. If the door is too wide it will bind, whether there is a bevel on this side or not. A bevel helps greatly, however with plenty of gap no bevel is necessary at all (aesthetics of the gap not withstanding ... ).

Other things could include the bolt (handset edge mortise and hole ) is not in the absolute center of the door, causing the bolt not to engage the strike. If the hole is too high or too low it will also not engage the strike.

Check all things suggested (by all posters ) and take pictures of the issue if possible. Let us know how it goes.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Bevel was the problem! You guys are awesome. Thanks for all your help. My old house is now one closet less marred..

Cheers

Phil

Thumbs up Re: completed interior door replacement project

good news phil! thank you for following up.

a round of buscuits and brew are on the house.

and I did it without the help of google