+ Reply to Thread

Default Warming tile on a slab floor: is an insulating barrier really effective?

We are planning to replace the ceramic tiles on our kitchen floor. During this update we are considering the instillation of a tile warming system. Nothing worse than bare feet on cold tile... Our current tile floor sits on a concrete slab (~25 yrs old). How important is it to place an insulating barrier between the slab and the heating wire? Vendors tell us it is, and could save $$ in electrical cost, however, none have provided any data. How much heat is lost to the slab with and without an insulating barrier? Are some barriers more efficient than others? Will my bare feet know the difference..?
    Thanks for taking time to respond.

Default Re: Warming tile on a slab floor: is an insulating barrier really effective?

I would have to say an insulation barrier would be a good idea. Even though I can't show you any figures but common sense should come into play here. The concrete is the ideal material to absorb the heat for floor heat systems and would eventually make it's way down to the soil , which you are paying for.

Default Re: Warming tile on a slab floor: is an insulating barrier really effective?

Hi,

I agree with bsum, concrete is the ideal material to absorb the heat for floor.

Last edited by curtdave; 11-29-2008 at 12:52 AM.