+ Reply to Thread

Default Cans of 'base' paint?

I have several cans of "base". And further investigation shows that there are several specific numbers the cans. What is necessary to use these in a 'barn paint' mix... Have been told that the 'color' added is necessary and that the base will not work right until it is added.... Thus, is it necessary to get every can of the 'base' blended inorder to just make up a big bucket of 'noname' paint for the backside of the barn?

Default Re: Cans of 'base' paint?

I think someone was pulling your leg, half a dozen drops of colorant isn't going to make any difference in the overall composition of the paint. As long as the paint is exterior grade and the same sheen, mix them together and paint your barn. If you do want a different color, then take them to any vendor and have colorant added. One thing you will want to do is to mix each can thoroughly with a power wand on a drill, as well as mixing the cans together. Any paint that's been sitting for more than 24 to 48 hours has a significant portion of it's pigments settled out to the bottom of the can.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I agree. Considering that very light colors such as the off-whites use very little pigment, adding the color shouldn't be necessary. I believe that some pigments may enhance the UV-resistance of some paints, but that's probably not much of a consideration.

I wonder how much mixing the sheen matters. Obviously, you don't know what kind of sheen you'll end up with, but when you already don't care about the color, you probably won't care about the sheen. I'm guessing your main concern is to protect the surfaces you are painting?

Harveysstuff,

Does this "base" paint already have tint in it? Every paint manufacturer makes multiple bases into which tint is added. What is common to all is that the bases have decreasingly less white pigment in the "deeper" bases. If you paint with one of these bases without tint, you will get an extremely poor covering paint. A "deep" base paint will have literally no white pigment in it, however, acrylic paints look white in their wet state but dry clear. If you should paint with a deep base without tint, you are essentially putting on a coat of acrylic varnish.

A pupe white tint base will have the full compliment of white pigment in it, but its coverage will be somewhat lacking. Even a few drops of raw umber or lampblack will dramatically increase its coverage.

PIgment does increase the protective value of coatings. A solid hide exterior stain will give far superior protection to wood over that of a semi-transparent stain because the higher concentration of pigment blocks the sun's UV rays.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencepost View Post
    I wonder how much mixing the sheen matters. Obviously, you don't know what kind of sheen you'll end up with, but when you already don't care about the color, you probably won't care about the sheen. I'm guessing your main concern is to protect the surfaces you are painting?
    Mixing sheens doesn't matter, as long as you've got more than enough to do the job at hand. The problem occurs when you run short and then need some special mixed stuff to finish up. I once painted the interior of my garage with a mix of sheens and ran short by just that much (holds up thumb and forefinger with just a touch of a gap ). The new paint sheen was off just a touch, but being this was a garage, no harm no foul.

Quote Originally Posted by ordjen View Post
    Does this "base" paint already have tint in it? Every paint manufacturer makes multiple bases into which tint is added. What is common to all is that the bases have decreasingly less white pigment in the "deeper" bases. If you paint with one of these bases without tint, you will get an extremely poor covering paint. A "deep" base paint will have literally no white pigment in it, however, acrylic paints look white in their wet state but dry clear. If you should paint with a deep base without tint, you are essentially putting on a coat of acrylic varnish.
    I was hoping you'd pop in. Thanks for the info.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Bases without colorant will not cover well at all if they are deep or clear base.(There's other bases too) These bases come with very little colorant in them and will tend to be translusant. White bases have colorant ususally added at the factory(titanium dioxide) but will be white when you put it on.
    Best thing to do is to take the cans to a paint store and have them look at what you have and they can tint and/or seperate them for you.