+ Reply to Thread

Default Heating Bedrooms

I just posted this message under the heating section and came to check out this area and thought may be this is where I should post this question.

We live in MA so winters are long and cold. Our master bedroom is above the garage and it is so cold in there that we do not use this room for the whole winter which is about 6 to 8 months a year. My husband I move out to a smaller room/office. The house was built in 1938 so for heating we have radiators. There is one in there which works fine but it is so cold that the heat does not last long. Also, the thermostat is in the dinning room down stairs so it could be warm 70 degree down stairs but it would be 50 degree in this room. I would like to use this room as our pemanent bed room but not sure what can we do about this.

Also, my elderly mother lives with us and I would also like to heat her room. It is not as cold but for her it is cold. She keeps her room closed most of the time to keep the room warm. we tried the space heaters but were not worth it. They did not heat the room enough. We are thinking to put elecric baseboard heaters in her room. Would this work? What kind should I be looking for?

By the way I love to watch your shows.

Thanks

Default Re: Heating Bedrooms

Quote Originally Posted by Mountainview View Post
    I just posted this message under the heating section and came to check out this area and thought may be this is where I should post this question.

We live in MA so winters are long and cold. Our master bedroom is above the garage and it is so cold in there that we do not use this room for the whole winter which is about 6 to 8 months a year. My husband I move out to a smaller room/office. The house was built in 1938 so for heating we have radiators. There is one in there which works fine but it is so cold that the heat does not last long. Also, the thermostat is in the dinning room down stairs so it could be warm 70 degree down stairs but it would be 50 degree in this room. I would like to use this room as our pemanent bed room but not sure what can we do about this.

Also, my elderly mother lives with us and I would also like to heat her room. It is not as cold but for her it is cold. She keeps her room closed most of the time to keep the room warm. we tried the space heaters but were not worth it. They did not heat the room enough. We are thinking to put elecric baseboard heaters in her room. Would this work? What kind should I be looking for?

By the way I love to watch your shows.

Thanks
    You don't state what insulation, if any exists in this room. You say the radiator works, but heat doesn't last long, which leads me to believe insulation is lacking here. Remember your heated areas in your home are an envelope that you want sealed on all sides. Being over a garage, don't neglect the floor of the room. I would dense pack the floor from the garage ceiling with cellulose, dense pack walls and slopes, and make sure I have an R-38 in the attic if it is open joist. One very important point! Install a CO detector in or close to this room. Carbon monoxide can easily infiltrate the room from a running engine and is very hard to seal out, as the molecules of CO are small enough that they can penetrate even 6 mil plastic. If there is a kneewall in the room, insulate the back side to R-19 and air seal. Once you're able to retain heat in this room, then you can determine if your heating source is providing sufficient heat. Electric baseboard can be a good option, but could require upgrading your electrical service. Insulate first, then go from there.