+ Reply to Thread

Default Connect track light to recessed light in basement

Hello,

I bought a track light (with a dimmer) which I would like to connect to the existing recessed light to brighten up a wall. The track light has a normal power plug. Is it possible just to cut the power plug and connect the cables with the recessed light? And if so I have a black and a white cable and the ground on the recessed light and two cables on the power plug. Which cable should I connect with which?

With the link you can find some pictures of the recessed light and the track lighting.
    http://gallery.me.com/stephanie.gres...lack&view=grid

Thanks

Default Re: Connect track light to recessed light in basement

It can be done but whether or not should it be done is another thing.
    The wire associated to the larger sized prong is the neutral wire and that would be connected to the white wires. The wire associated to the smaller prong is the hot and would be connected to the black wires.
    I'm guessing you removed the cover to the juction box for the photo. Those yellow colored wire nuts may not accomodate the extra wire to fit inside,also I'm not sure if that cord for the track light is temperature rated.

Default Re: Connect track light to recessed light in basement

Hello,

thank you for your feedback. I really appreciate this. I'd rather go to a retail store and ask for a recommendation with my pictures... They should sell me the right stuff.

Thanks