+ Reply to Thread

Default How to hang wires in a concrete Garage?

Hello,

I recently installed a Garage Door opener in our all concrete garage. I used concrete anchors for the motor unit itself, but I'm not sure on what to do with the wires that go to the sensors and key pad? Of, for that matter, the extension cord. How do I adhere these to the concrete walls? In my old dry-wall house, I would just staple the wire to the wall. Of course that doesn't work here

Are there any glues or fasteners than don't require me drilling into the concrete?

Thanks,
    Rich

Default Re: How to hang wires in a concrete Garage?

Pick up some cable clamps somthing like the metal ones here
    http://cableorganizer.com/cable-clamps/
    As far as securing them drill some small holes and use concrete screws.

I had the same problem in my newly finished garage. I did not want little staple holes all over the 5/8" drywall. i went to my local hardware store and bought wire clips. These are white plastic, with a backing material like double sided tape. I put them on the drywall (should work on concrete), then put the wires in the little clamps and tightened them down.

Radioshack, Lowes, HomeDepot, AceHardware, etc. all have these clips.

John.

Those self stick clamps need a little dab of RTV Silicone to help them stick longer .

Those self stick clamps need a little dab of RTV Silicone to help them stick longer .
    Got that right ,,,, the adhesive backed stuff dries out and always lets go .... besides i don't find they stick to concrete worth a darn.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

i'd use conduit in the garage. then attach conduit hanger brackets. you install an electrical box with grounded receptacle and cover on the ceiling not supposed to use an extension cord for a permanent install like a garage door opener.

a possible alternative to pre-drilling for epoxy or expanding concrete fasteners might be cartridge driven fasteners. i wouldn't recommend that in vintage concrete or hollow block 1902 house in NJ from your other posts.
    Last edited by Blue RidgeParkway; 11-22-2008 at 11:33 AM.