+ Reply to Thread

Default removing wallpaper from drywall

when removing wallpaper from drywall some of the outer layer of paper came off the drywall. I want to paint this wall. Can I smooth this out with joint compound and then sand it or should I replace the entire wall?

Default Re: removing wallpaper from drywall

Yes. Use topping compound, it's smoother, easier to work with, and easier to sand when dry. You will continue to get some feathering as the paper absorbs moisture from the topping compound. Let the first coat dry, peel off any loose spots or feathers, and apply another coat.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Johno,

Whenever I patch drywall damaged during wallpaper removal, I first seal the bared paper with a quick dry, oil-based primer such as Kilz or Cover Stain. The moisture in drywall compound will often cause the bared paper to wrinkle up it not sealed first. After the primer dries, simply patch with topping compound and sand smooth. Whenever I remove paper, I like to give the entire room a complete prime coat. Between the patches here and there and the possibility that you missed getting a little paste off here and there, it is insurance that the top coat will have a nice even appearance. Also, if using a strong finish color, it is a good opportunity to tint the primer toward the finish color.

Thanks for the advice. Any tip that could save me a little time and aggravation is greatly appreciated.

I assume i will have to put primer over the joint compound before applying the the first coat of latex paint. Is that correct?

Yes, and two coats are better than one. Zinnser's Bullseye 123 blue label primer is a good one.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

thanks for the info. have a great weekend!