+ Reply to Thread

Default vintage j.a. henckel tool kit help

I was gifted an old tool-kit that I know little about. I spoke with someone who directed me to contact This Old House. It seems to have been manufactured by J.A. Henckels. It has the 'premium' product line emblem on each piece, and as well, 'Zwilliingswerk' is on a number of the pieces. It seems to be some sort of toolkit that a woodworker might carry. It has the handle, which accepts all of the pieces, a expanding meter-stick, chisel, plier/wire cutter, adjustable wrench, wood saw (and sheath with centimeter marks), flathead screwdriver, smooth edge knife (and sheath), file, flat chisel, scratch awl, small drillbit, and large drillbit. It seems to be missing another small tool, maybe another drillbit.

A number of the tools seem to have no wear whatsoever, and are in near perfect condition. They all seem to be chromed. Some have no wear, but are slightly rusted. No one tool seems to have seen significant use. The wooden handle, however, is cracked, and still functions fine.

The leather is dry, and the male half of the snap rivets have ripped out of the leather case.

I would like to know a few things about this kit. When was it made? What is it called? How much is it worth (I would give it a 6/10 condition)?

I am interested in selling it to someone who could appreciate it more than I.

Thank you for any an all information.

Last edited by nextrightthing; 11-19-2008 at 06:56 PM.

Default Re: vintage j.a. henckel tool kit help

well lets start with the german name Zwillingswerk that's one "i" after the double "L". german compounds words so in english that would be Zwilling's work (werk = work) as in factory or product of Zwilling. been around in some form since the late 18th century.

I know Zwilling for their scissors. I believe they also make kitchen knives. I think the entire company is now known as JA Henckel International. I don't know if they are still making anything in europe. the insignia looks to be the same as they still use now. they'd call the screw driver head a spanner.

Looks like might be a holiday gift set or a premium set given as give-aways. I wouldn't think that was a woodworker's set looks more like maybe a tack kit (horses) for leatherworking, etc. could just be a general "city gentleman's" or housewife's kitchen drawer household tool valet or maybe a more general leather working set a shoe repair or bootmaker's set.tent makers set or even for sewing or maybe sailing kit or upholstry kit? Nice mallet head too. hey! maybe a set of tools for making fishing lures?

the best source is the company itself as per their website(FAQ's Historic): "If you have found, inherited, autioned, collected or seen an old product with our company logo and would like to know more about it, please drop us a line. We do no have an ******-archive at the moment, but are more than willing to "rummage" through our old records and see if we can find something for you. Our records are sketchy and not complete but there are still a lot of old books and catalogues. This is also a case-by-case undertaking and may require some patience, usually we need about two to three weeks to get a result. If you have digital images of the product in question rather than copied etchmarks or stamps, this may help to speed things up a bit. Close-ups of logo and some details will definitely help to identify the product more precisely."

so give them a try. the english canada site is: http://www.zwilling.com/en-CA/FAQ--f...ucts--270.html you can change the country/language as you need to.
    Last edited by Blue RidgeParkway; 11-20-2008 at 12:36 AM.

Actually zwilling means twin or gemini, thus the registered trademark So the items where made in the Gemini Factory in Germany.
    They are primarily known for fine cutlery, manicure sets, scissors, and straight razors. I would guess this is a special home owners handyman set. The two items you call drill bits are more likely called gimlets.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thanks for the replies. BlueRidge, my first step was contacting the manufacturer. The New York branch forwarded my query to the german headquarters. I have yet to hear back.

Hi,

I am responding to your post about the J.A. Henckels tool set. It has been 4 years now since your post & I am wondering if you still have it and might be interested in selling it.

Thanks,

sgacsgac