Default refinishing shower base

I have a 25 year old, acrylic shower base that originally had a "gel coat" surface. The base is very much in tact, but is discolored beyond cleaning. I am considering having this re-coated versus replacing. Does anyone have any experience with how well these finishes hold up over acrylic?

Thanks

Default Re: refinishing shower base

I have not had an acrylic base refinished, but I've had a number of fiberglass bases and surrounds done with great success. Refinishing will last as long if not longer than the factory finish if cared for properly. Since fiberglass uses resins that are likely similar if not the same as an acrylic base, I would recommend contacting several local refinishing companies to see if they will do an acrylic base and to give you quotes on the project.
    Come to Hidden Content for all your DIY needs

Thanks for the reply, but I made one mistake. The shower base is made of cultured marble not acrylic. That may change the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Talksep View Post
    Thanks for the reply, but I made one mistake. The shower base is made of cultured marble not acrylic. That may change the answer.
    Same thing. Cultured marble type products are all various mixtures of resin, what differentiates one from another is the processing. Some are opaque, some are marbled all the way through, some are only surface marbled with a plain resin backer. Regardless, it's all resin. What is important is that the reglazing material is compatible with the substrate, something that a refinisher should be able to tell you. I would call several to get differing opinions, methods, and pricing.
    Come to Hidden Content for all your DIY needs