+ Reply to Thread

Default Swampy Yard from Leaky Pond

I have 5 acres and ever since my neighbor expanded their pond 2 years ago, a large corner section of my yard has become a marsh. And last year I ended up losing 3 very large mature pine cone trees because of this moisture problem. I am trying to be a good neighbor, but this is really getting to be a nuisance. I was wondering what my best option would be to help reclaim some of my yard. I have been thinking of digging a french drain along the fence line, but I'm not sure how to actually go about this, and I am not sure that this will fix the problem. Do you have any suggestions. I am including a pic of the two properties and the red outlined area is the part of my yard that is under water and the 3 red splotches are my mature trees that have died. In his defense, I guess I should state that he is out there several times a week with a bobcat trying to stop his pond from leaking. But this isn't helping my yard.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	google mapMARKED.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	3469  

Default Re: Swampy Yard from Leaky Pond

If you dig a french drain make sure that it drains to someplace lower then the area that you are draining. You need about 1 inch drop per four feet to make sure that your tile is self cleaning. If the area is longer then about 50 to 100 feet you may want to consider renting a trencher.

Default Re: Swampy Yard from Leaky Pond

Thank you for your reply. I'm not exactly sure how to tackle a french drain - there are so many different directions for them on the internet. When you said to make sure my "tile is self cleaning" - can you explain what you mean by that?