+ Reply to Thread

Default New gray shade primer

Hi,
    Does anybody know anything about this?
    A special gray primer now available will bring out the true color of your chosen paint chip for your interior paint job. Using primers is important to getting coverage with fewer coats. This newer paint primer with the proper shade of gray tint will outperform the old white primer paint/sealers and get your job done faster with fewer coats.

Default Re: New gray shade primer

deep tint base for primers have been around for years. primers with black or gray tones for under pastels and dark colors like red finish paints that are additionally color tinted also around for years. check your paint cans and spec sheets usually manufacturers will spec which primer base should be used and if it should be color tinted and how much or which tint formula on which primer base should be used.

THIS IS NOT A TINTED BASE PRIMER. IT IS A WHITE PRIMER TINTED THE COMPLIMENTARY SHADE OF GRAY TO GO WITH A PAINT COLOR. FOR EXAMPLE: I HAVE A PAINT SWATCH IN THE COLOR "OATMEAL" THE PAINT STORE TOOK A WHITE PRIMER AND TINTED IT A SHADE OF GRAY TO BRING OUT THE TRUE COLOR OF THE FINISH PAINT. IN THE OLD DAYS YOU TINTED THE PRIMER IN A SHADE OF OATMEAL. THIS NEW TECHNOLOGY IS CUTTING EDGE Some very clever paint researchers discovered that tinting the white primer/sealers to various shades of gray solved the one coat color issue. A few colors worked fine over the white primers but a majority of the color palette that you see in the huge displays and color chip fans require a gray tinted primer to reproduce the exact color you see on a particular color chip. The paint manufacturers and retailers in certain stores know exactly what shade of gray to tint the primer/sealers so that the colored finish coat paint covers in one coat. Using a tinted paint with the appropriate gray primer will insure that the two coats will result in a perfect paint job

Quote Originally Posted by XJXC022 View Post
    THIS IS NOT A TINTED BASE PRIMER. IT IS A WHITE PRIMER TINTED THE COMPLIMENTARY SHADE OF GRAY TO GO WITH A PAINT COLOR. FOR EXAMPLE: I HAVE A PAINT SWATCH IN THE COLOR "OATMEAL" THE PAINT STORE TOOK A WHITE PRIMER AND TINTED IT A SHADE OF GRAY TO BRING OUT THE TRUE COLOR OF THE FINISH PAINT. IN THE OLD DAYS YOU TINTED THE PRIMER IN A SHADE OF OATMEAL. THIS NEW TECHNOLOGY IS CUTTING EDGE Some very clever paint researchers discovered that tinting the white primer/sealers to various shades of gray solved the one coat color issue. A few colors worked fine over the white primers but a majority of the color palette that you see in the huge displays and color chip fans require a gray tinted primer to reproduce the exact color you see on a particular color chip. The paint manufacturers and retailers in certain stores know exactly what shade of gray to tint the primer/sealers so that the colored finish coat paint covers in one coat. Using a tinted paint with the appropriate gray primer will insure that the two coats will result in a perfect paint job
    this is not news. your shouting (CAPS ON) doesn't make it news. changing color of your field may require both promoting adhesion of your new finish coating - the primary purpose of primer AND blocking of the old color from bleeding through and tinted primer for true color of your finish paint. white primer has pigment solids or tinting for blocking usually titanium dioxide. a clear primer sealer like clear shellac has no pigments.

Smile Re: New gray shade primer

I wasn't shouting (not into all that email etiquette) I just happen to have had the cap lock on. Well, if this is not news, it should be because the only paint store/proffesional who had any knowledge of this NEW technology was Sherwin Williams...everyone else wanted to tint the primer in a hue of the finish paint. I will advise as to how it works as my painter is using it (at my insistence)as we speak.

Cool Re: New gray shade primer

Yep.
    NOT news to me either.

Been using grays under many deeper colors for YEEEEAAAARRRS now.

If you're needing the benefit of colored primers for lighter colors, the paint is going on too thin!!!
    White primers will do just fine under light to medium tones, because those paint colors have plenty of TI02 to produce proper "hide"...ASSUMING you're putting enough paint on.

C2 has had special-tint primer formulas (ACS primers) for many of their accent/neutral-base colors.

EVEN WITH tinted primers, or varying gray-shade primers, TWO FULL topcoats of actual paint are still the best finish.
    Colored primer DOES NOT magically make the need for a 2nd paintcoat disappear.

Many "professional" painters & DIY-ers still believe that shortsighted thinking...

Faron

Various paint manufacturers handle this differently: Glidden has long reccommended its Gripper Gray primer under its dark clors and bright colors. My computers automatically alter that gray accordking to the color going over it. Ralph Loren, a Glidden product utilizes a deep base primer into which the exact formula as the paint is shot. Behr uses a white primer into which a partial formula of the paint is shot. A deep red paint results in a Pepto Bismo pink primer. Behr maintains that a truere final color results. If tried them all and as far as I can see, the end results for all are good.

As to priming under an "oatmeal" paint, any good primer should have enough blanking to insure that the finish coat is true in color. What pulls a color off is light passing through the paint film and reflecting off the substrate. If the primer and paint sufficiently blank the reflecting of this light, the color will be true. The premium primers have more titanium dioxide and it is milled finer, allowing more light to be blocked.

In theory, black is the absorbtion of all light, white the reflection of all light. Gray lies somewhere in between. Again, the idea is to control what light is reflected back through the primer/paint film.

Adding a partial formula to a white primer controls what part of the spectrum is reflected back through the film, if any.

Personally, I believe in following the instructions of the paint manufacturer. In this day of computerized paint mixing, the manufacturers instructions as to priming are in the computer.

Tinted primer doesn't bring out enough of the color... you can only add so much tint to it. A gray will bring better results for deep colors.
    Mark, Painting Eden Prairie, MN