+ Reply to Thread

Thread: furnace blower

Default furnace blower

I am adding a couple receptacles and dont have any more room in my service panel for new circuits.So I am thinking about putting them on a circuit with my gas furnace blower.just wanted to make sure its not suppose to a dedicated circuit or something.The side of furnace says max input 6.5 amps.

Default Re: furnace blower

Quote Originally Posted by JayB99 View Post
    I am adding a couple receptacles and dont have any more room in my service panel for new circuits.So I am thinking about putting them on a circuit with my gas furnace blower.just wanted to make sure its not suppose to a dedicated circuit or something.The side of furnace says max input 6.5 amps.
    you've probably got a transformer or two for low voltage step down power supply for your thermostat and furnace controls. your blower motor also has ratings for inrush or max amps when it starts up or locked rotor amps that is likely HIGHER than what your furnace panel says there. then there's the rule about 50 percent of motors and such on a combination circuit and having everything set down to 80 percent. then there would be your safety switch to shut down everything to the furnace electrical probably mounted on the side of your furnace which opens the electrical circuit for the furnace. then there's the chance that you have an overriding local rule. so probably no especially if you have a 15 amp circuit for the furnace. 80 percent of 15 amps divided by two is six amps you're already past the limit if sharing the circuit with a demand or continuous use motor appliance.

why can't you use a circuit already supplying outlets elsewhere?

A Mini breaker could be your answer. I'm not a big fan of those but in your case it is worth a look....

Quote Originally Posted by JayB99 View Post
    The furnace is supposed to be on it's own dedicated circuit.

Besides .... what if something plugged into those new receptacles tripped the breaker .... you'll be without heat.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush