+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Removing crown molding that has been glued on

I am trying to find a way to remove the crown molding from the DR of a house I recently purchased. The previous owners appear to have GLUED the plastic moldings onto plaster walls. Does anyone have any advice on how to remove these? Or do I just have to live with them?

Default Re: Removing crown molding that has been glued on

Go to the hardware store and get one of those 8" wide putty knifes - you know the kind you see drywallers use to tape joints - and then just work it behind the molding to break the bond. However, I think no matter how careful you do it you're going to need to touch up the areas where the glue tears out the drywall.

Default Re: Removing crown molding that has been glued on

Sounds like it's going to be a royal pain. Can you tell if they used some type of a caulk tube product like liquid nails? If you have plaster walls, you might be better off trying to sand it and prep it to paint without taking it down. You could very well just cause a bigger mess trying to get them down. If you can break the bond from the glue to the moulding rather than the bond from the glue to the plaster, you can then be a little more meticulous getting the remaining glue off the wall.